Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I shot a wolf today! Good Story, Bad Ending

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I shot a wolf today! Good Story, Bad Ending

I hope about a thousand other hunters have your experience. The quota is never filled and the season stays in all the time. A few thousand wolves die and we start building back some big game herds and reclaiming our tags. Maybe if we can completely erradicate the wolves hopefully then in 50 years or so we can build back some of the big game herds we have lost to wolves.

Here in Wyoming it is very sad. We have lost all the moose and most of the elk within 100 miles of yellowstone which was the best hunting around before the wolves. Now there is tremendous hunting pressure on the few areas of the state where there are not as many wolves. Or it is impossible to draw a tag any more because there are only a few tags and everyone has to apply now in a very limited area when everyone was spread out all over the state.

We have basically lost our hunting unless we can acheive total erradication over the next couple of years by any method possible. If you don't live here and see it you just don't understand.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

CO is next, Just returned from elk/deer hunt near Steamboat, and one in the group seen wolf tracks. Some other hunters told us about recent sightings.

It's just like here in WI they cut down the deer population up north and have been stedilly heading south for the last few years to greener pastures.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Troutslayer, I'm sure you spend quite a bit of time hunting in your neck of the woods. Unfortunately, there is always the chance that this sort of thing can happen. We definately owe it to the game we hunt to be at our best for a clean humane shot, but stuff happens. Your experience has probably been shared by 90% of the hunters on this site. I had a bad experience on an antelope hunt in area 680 about 8 years ago and still haven't been able to bring myself to get another antelope tag since. Maybe next year though, it's just getting past the mental block.

On the brighter side, I try to hunt five main states and I couldn't agree more with Long Time Long Ranger. I've seen great game areas in WY, MT, ID and several other states that have always been exceptional areas only to become damn near extinct. Areas where you could always fill a tag on the last day of the season and now you couldn't even find a track in there. It's somewhat unfortunate, but maybe there's a silver lining of some sort!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

This whole wolf action really shines a light on how much biologists don't know, I think there are some FWP officials that are scare out of the mind of what the wolves have done. The wolves are literally killing of there funding and they can't just kill them because then the feds will come in an re-list them or BS like they did for the griz.
The wolves are one of worst wildlife mismanagement disasters, it took a lot of years of relentless killing to kill them back to they were at, the best things for dealing with them is poisoning and denning and that won't fly in this day.
We as sportsmen will need to try to protect the moose, they have been wiped out. The wolf will be the cause of other animals in the lower 48 to be listed as endangered species if sportsmen and there groups do nothing.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
CO is next, Just returned from elk/deer hunt near Steamboat, and one in the group seen wolf tracks. Some other hunters told us about recent sightings.

It's just like here in WI they cut down the deer population up north and have been stedilly heading south for the last few years to greener pastures.

This post is the first and only indication that I am aware of that indicates wolves in CO>

Ya just can't trust any gov't agency any more.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The wolves are one of worst wildlife mismanagement disasters, it took a lot of years of relentless killing to kill them back to they were at, the best things for dealing with them is poisoning and denning and that won't fly in this day.
So this bags the question... what kind of poison and where would one acquire it?

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

trout slayer- what kind of rifle do you uswe for them and what loadink? roninflag