Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I shot a bear!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I shot a bear!!!

Hello everyone. Sorry took me a little longer to reply than I would have liked. I did not mean to cause a stir with my story. I did not go into full detail about the brush shooting, but I will now. The brush was a group of pine trees of about 10, surrounded by scrub brush thats knee to waist high. If there was a person hiding in there with that bear I'm sure either of them would have been running out far before the first shot of which my dad fired into the edge of the brush on the trail where the bear was last seen. The piece I am hunting is private property, there is not a lot of people wondering around in there. The people that own it themselves do not even hunt. What I meant by saying I should have shot into the brush was meaning I shoulda been the one shooting because I have shot the last 3 bears and he has missed or they have gotten away. I guess you needed to be there to see it. My dad was using the same aiming point I'm sure. Hes not just spraying bullets across the mountain side. He always picks spots on trails to shoot so he shot at the edge of the trees, which was still on the trail, in full view, nothing was in the way. After 3 shots and 5 minutes the bear was walking very fast uphill coming out of the top of the brush. There is the full explanation of it. I hope everything is better and hope people dont think were just shooting into every brushy hillside we encounter.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
If you keep it up, we'll be reading about you in the papers "Hunter shoots other hunter/camper/kids playing in the woods/family member while shooting at unseen bear in the brush".

If I read this wrong, sorry about the outburst. Hunter safety is a big issue with me. I was shot in the leg by a hunter doing exactly what you describe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunter Safety is my Top Priority when afield but, If you believe that shots in the field at known Backstops are any different than shots at game, you shouldn't be shooting in the first place. Shots into a known visably safe back ground are far more safe than shots through game animals due primarily to the fact that game animals are slightly elevated and bullets can have dramatic deflections while penetrating an animal and end up in very unexpected places. Although I personally would not have fired "spooking" shots, I have no problem w/ a man doing so if he's doing it safely and he's not bothering other hunters by spooking their game as well.

If a man knows his Backstop, it's no different than shooting at your local range. Actually it's probably a good bit safer statistically.

Sounds like he was on private property w/ a known backstop so, safety was taken into consideration. No problems here.

Congrats on your Bear!

Reloader
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 AM

Congrats on a nice Bear!

....and safe shooting!