Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I shot a bear!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I shot a bear!!!

Congrats on the bear. I finally know how exciting this can be.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
4 scenarios:

a) Your dad's shots are ignored by the bear
b) Terrified, the bear leaves it's hide and exposes itself to you
c) The bear is wounded by your dad with 5" of daylight left
d) Someone becomes the unintended recipient of your dad's fire (as noted above)

If you cannot see and positively ID what you intend to hit...your finger should be nowhere near the trigger. Congratulations on a successful hunt...I hope I'm never in the same woods as you and your father.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the fifth scenario? His dad, being a responsible hunter, knows that you should not shoot anything that can't be positively identified decides to positively identify the base of a tree on the close edge of the area the bear is in and after carefully aiming at it he hits it 3 times. This could also be called shooting into the brush by a kid that is focused on a well placed shot to his bear and didn't ask dad what exactly he was shooting at.

There. Now we have the up views and the down views represented. Lets wait for the hunter (and / or his dad) to settle this all out.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 AM

I agree with forkhorn, we dont know exactly what he means by brush.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks 4ked ,
you have a way of pointing out what should be obvious ,but often isn';t.I have often hunted where the intended quarry is able to hide from me in the vegetation that is there but it is without a doubt not people cover.After shooting a rock that afforded a good aiming point near the las t location elk have broken cover , crossed the draw and ended up getting shot at half the original distance.
Bottom line is that no one knows if they weren't there, and it would be better to give tyhe benefit of the doubt till closer inspection reveals the details.
That may have been 3 cents worth [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] if so I will expect ( and probably get ) my other penney back [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Jim
Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Jimm if I am in error I gladly appologize and congratulate the young man on his bear kill!!!I was taught at a very early age to be careful with guns and never shoot at uncertain targets! If someone tells me he had a good brush shot I distance myself from him.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Sniper2,
You are not in error and I don't think you owe anyone an apology.
I guess what I'm getting at here is that what you were taught at an early age should be passed on to others ,but that it is easy to have " prior contempt without investigation", and I am the worst to jump at such conclusions.
I read somewhre here today from aa poster ( I'm sorry I can't remember ) who said " I don't like my posts when I read them the next day". Man ! what an understatement, for me too!
I reckon its not about being right so much as it is about all coming to the same understanding of what works and what dont. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Jim B.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

And I would like to add that I am opposed to shooting into the collective greenery without knowing what is in there. I also have hunted on the same piece of private property where a hunter aimed at an elk and missed only to hit his own buddy wearing cammo/orange on the other side of the field. Knowing your target and what is beyond it IS very important.

I anticipate the response from the young bear hunter or his dad. After all, it was the dad that fired the shots. How many of us as young men would have said "Dad, what in the heck were you doing. You didn't know who was in there." as he was skinning your bear.

Anyone?