Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

I need your opinions

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 05-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: North Louisiana
Posts: 637
Re: I need your opinions

Here's one:

Old Reliable!!

https://flic.kr/p/mp7riP
__________________
Edited
Ralph L. Ermey
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,550
Re: I need your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
I was going to build me a long range hunting rig, so I bought a rem 700 sps in 7mm stw well long story short rifle was inoperable from the start. Remington wouldn't even send me the rifle back because it was messed up so they offered me a 700 long range in 7mm rem mag, well that was march 11th and still no rifle because of trigger recall. I have dies,brass, bullets etc for the stw. Well it will be 8 more weeks at the smith to rechamber and install brake. I am now kind of thinking I should scrap this idea and try a savage 110 fcp hs in 338 lm. It will be a hunter most of all, I would like your opinion on the calibers.

Wait for the 7 stw (I prob wont see it in my hands untill after seasons over) or scrap the idea and go with the 338lm savage??? Im not a stranger to recoil so that's not an issue but it one superior to the other.

What are you hunting?
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,312
Re: I need your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
Here's one:

Old Reliable!!

https://flic.kr/p/mp7riP
Old faithful w/ a hotrod twist...



.30-06 AI w/ Berger 185 VLD's packed with about 62gr of 7828 SSC, and running (according to QuickLoad, I haven't chrono'd yet) around 2,900 fps in my 26" heavy 1:12.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 176
Re: I need your opinions

The rifle will be used for whitetail, elk and hogs
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arkansas (Home of Record)
Posts: 1,301
Re: I need your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I figured I'd see what all the fuss was... Apparanly it's more hype than anything.

Cold bore was dead-on...Shots 2 & 3 would be somewhere inside of a 4" diameter radius...
I agree that this fella doesn't "need" a .338 anything for his intended goals and a 7mag of sorts or a .30 cal can get it done.

I also agree that your crappy shooting .338 WinMag was hardly anything to fuss about when it comes to long range. However, that's kinda of a poor example to base your experience with an entire caliber isn't it?

Reminds me of a .270 I had once, it shot so bad that I (and others) couldn't get it properly zeroed. That rifle turned me off of .270's for a long time, but I think I was only 12 and didn't know any better.
__________________
Courage is just fear that has said it's prayers.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,312
Re: I need your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
I agree that this fella doesn't "need" a .338 anything for his intended goals and a 7mag of sorts or a .30 cal can get it done.

I also agree that your crappy shooting .338 WinMag was hardly anything to fuss about when it comes to long range. However, that's kinda of a poor example to base your experience with an entire caliber isn't it?

Reminds me of a .270 I had once, it shot so bad that I (and others) couldn't get it properly zeroed. That rifle turned me off of .270's for a long time, but I think I was only 12 and didn't know any better.
A 7mm or .30 can do anything a .338 can do. Shot placement is key.

Unless you're shooting dangerous game in Africa, or shooting beyond 1500 yards, I see no reason to step up beyond a .30.

I disliked .338's long before I owned one. It just helped solidify the uselessness of one for north american game. I've also never liked a .270 Win. Never liked a .30-06 Sprg, either. Still don't. The .30-06 AI is a different beast entirely, and is an Ackley, and I respect and revere PO Ackley's work, therefore I have more respect for it.

You cannot deny that the .338's are only as popular as they are because they are the newest trend on the block, and because nobody has made any huge advancements in .35, .375, .408 bullet tech that is more affordable and in more supply and demand.

I would feel the same way about anything larger than a .30 cal as well. It's not just hate for the .338.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,550
Re: I need your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
A 7mm or .30 can do anything a .338 can do. Shot placement is key.

Unless you're shooting dangerous game in Africa, or shooting beyond 1500 yards, I see no reason to step up beyond a .30.

I disliked .338's long before I owned one. It just helped solidify the uselessness of one for north american game. I've also never liked a .270 Win. Never liked a .30-06 Sprg, either. Still don't. The .30-06 AI is a different beast entirely, and is an Ackley, and I respect and revere PO Ackley's work, therefore I have more respect for it.

You cannot deny that the .338's are only as popular as they are because they are the newest trend on the block, and because nobody has made any huge advancements in .35, .375, .408 bullet tech that is more affordable and in more supply and demand.

I would feel the same way about anything larger than a .30 cal as well. It's not just hate for the .338.
You've seen no reason because you've never shot at those ranges in multiple conditions on big game, still does not mean they don't have their place. I tend to shoot a lot smaller cals than even you on much bigger game but I dang sure will respect what the wind, range and type of animal I'm taking will do with those small cals and there is are times and places where a big 338 bullet just has no equal and it's something you'll know when you see it!
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC