Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I need a new rifle wanna help.. part 2 sorta..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2003, 07:19 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: I need a new rifle wanna help.. part 2 sorta..

well....

been reading all the web info. I can find on the 260/6.5 bullets.. unless you push them really fast... I'm not sure they do what I want.. and if you push them too fast ( as Chris and I know ) they become really unstable...

sooo... I think I'm gonna go with the .308.. but a few more tweeks.. HS detachable..

Just gotta decide on colors now...

Oh almost forgot. I am gonna put a break on it... ( I see all of you laughing so quit ! )

Where I live the soil is sandy and dusty, even in the spring and winter.. so that becomes a real issue when shooting prone.. which I do alot of.. so the break is as much for control of the dust signature as it is recoil.. although I do like to see my hits! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Ric--a brake will blow dust everywhere unless you vent it out and up only.

I like my answer brake on my 308 (14lb A3)though--i can spot shot on prairie dogs pretty good.

JB

p.s.--the dust really isnt super bad with the break, but would be much better if not vented down.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Bronze Member

Wyo,

Good luck on your rifle.

As far as brakes are concerned, I really like the Badger brake...I shoot in the prone position 95% of the time.

The badger brake doenst blow dirt and it allows me to see bullet impacts with my 300WM.

I have heard many positive remarks about the answer brake, but I have never used one.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:11 AM
*WyoWhisper*

The break I had in mind was the OPS. Inc I had put on the 300WSM...

I had had and will only use side venting breaks...

pretty neat stuff... again another suggestion by Chris M.

He suggested the Badger or OPS. Inc.

OPS Inc. Break

Badger is more cost efficient...
Old 12-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Gents - have been following your thread here - the 6.5 vs 308 and or ? - and not to sound dumb(but )all the 308 talk i've heard here and all the other sites , nobody's mentioned a improved version of the 308 , I would imagine there is one or more, are they not a consideration - thanks
Old 12-18-2003, 01:55 PM
Bronze Member

WyoWhisper:

It's interesting that you should start this topic now as I've been thinking of something very close to your proposal within the next year or two. I'm having a big gun built right now (338 Tomahawk) and I have a 700 SA at home that needs to have something built on it. It could be the little brother to the 338 Tomahawk. I was thinking a 24 inch barrel, A5 stock, bi-pod, 3.5-10 leupold or something of the sorts. I was very much set on the 260 rem or the 260 AI shooting 139 scenars. I could maybe get 2850fps with the 139 ers and with their very good BC the numbers compared to a 175gr at the same speed are superior.
If you don't mind I would like to hear why you would pick a 308 over the 260. I'm not sure to what COL you could load them but if that kind of velocity can be attained do you really need to go faster? I'm just asking because I really thought the 260 or 260 AI was the way to go. Since I havn't wasted any money on this project yet it's not to late to change my mind. Please post your thoughts and others are of course welcome to share theirs as well.

Regards
HH
Old 12-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Gold Member

HH,
I can probably answer for Ric: The 308 has better performance at the receiving end. High BC and speed don't make up for mass. The 175 out of a 308 has better terminal performance than a 142 out of a 260 or even a 6.5-284. The 6.5 are great for punching paper, the 308 for punching game. Sometimes what looks good on paper (ie ballistic programs) just ain't so in the real world.
Old Fart,
The 308 is one of those cartridges that you gain very little by Ackley Improving it, so it's really not worth doing.

[ 12-18-2003: Message edited by: chris matthews ]