Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I need a new rifle... wanna help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

I need a new rifle... wanna help?

Hunting season is over (nearly) and I'm itching for a new rifle.

With the talk of the Long Range series goiong on I can't wait any longer... call me Mr. Patient.

I thinking I'd like a McMillan A5 stock but don't know the options I'd like... probably light but non-resonant. I figure to use an Eagle Stock pack on it so I don't need an adjustable cheekpiece too bad.

I don't have any magnum chambered rifles in 30 caliber (or 7mm for that matter) and I could find a use for one. 300 WSM or 7mm WSM but maybe 300 RUM or 7mm RUM

I really don't need a BDL style rifle but am not adverse to having one as long as the floorplate is "real" steel.

I like to shoot heavy for caliber bullets and don't necessarily go for max projectile speed, as most here know, but rather for max accuracy at significant speed.

I'd like to be able to use factory ammo in a pinch.

I'm getting older and I notice that carrying a 17 pound rifle all day makes my arms and shoulders a little tired so something done to lighten the thing up would be nice... maybe about 15 pounds (a featherweight! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) all setup. I also carry a pack and other "essential" stuff so I'm getting near the 250 pounds on-the-hoof-mark and it's hard to get up those hills and mountains... that extra 2#'s is killing me!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I really like a tough rifle... I'm a klutz and when I trip, stumble, fall, jump off tall buildings, ride my rifle like a toboggan, etc I want my rifle to maintain zero.

I like the clip slotted Badger base but believe they are only in the short action version(s) [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] #8 screws in the base also make me happy...

I need three swivel studs, one for the bipod and two for the sling... Wichita are nice for the sling as they don't unscrew themselves.

No muzzle brake... I'm already wearing hearing aids! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Compromise on barrel length... needs to be handy in the carry and when slung for ducking under vegetation. I'm thinking 28" max but maybe shorter (24") if I go with a WSM (depending on feedback from other folks).

Fluted barrel (lighter)... no stinkin' "pencil" barrel... I'd lose face.

I'd really like to be able to attatch some target sights to the thing just in case (like the Army M24 system)... easier to carry (pack along) sights than an extra scope. Must be able to be installed without removing the scope mount base.

Camo stock pattern, maybe Desert or something similar in a lighter color series.

Probably Remington action (no "J" key)... Remington trigger @ 2.5 to 3 pounds. I like the Remington shoe width, the Jewell is too narrow.

I could be talked into a switch barrel rifle.

I already have a nice 6.5 x 284.

I have a great 308 Win.

I have a 243 Win Gumby

I have a mega long barrel 338 Lapua on a CZ 550.

I have a 223 Rem with removable match sights (Redfield Internationals).

I'll probably put a Nikon Tactical 4x16 or Leupold LR 3.5x10 on it, using Badger rings.

What an I missing... suggestions anyone... (be nice, I'm sensative)
Old 12-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: I need a new rifle... wanna help?

Dave, How about a 7mm-08 on a Rem action, 24" Stainless barrel, with a H-S sporter stock or McMillan A5 if thats what you like, in a sand or desert camo pattern, I really like mine, and if I could find a slightly used Rem. S/S in that same caliber, I'd buy another H-S stock and then I'd have 2 of them.
BTW, I shoot 150MKs on top of 39grs. of RE15, getting very good to great accuracy with this rig, Oh, If you want a 7mmshort Mag., get the Rem. S/S model in 7mmRSAuM, and get one of the stocks I mentioned, and then there's always getting the Sendero in that caliber, I'm waiting to see what Remington's coming out with for next year, hopefully they'll bring back the 708 in a 24" barrel with a H-S stock. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay
Old 12-16-2003, 09:53 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Dave,

I know I've said this before..but seriously consider the 300WSM.

I have one on the way this week and I'll be glad to send you a pic.. It should hopefully be under 14 lbs... it is the one described in the LRH rifle thread.

The one I have currently shoots the 175's at 3000 fps.. it is only a 12T so I can't really go heavier. The rifle on the way is a 11T and I hope to shoot the 175's, 190's and 200's from it.. 190's and 200's would be heavy for this caliber.

I can't say enough about the accuracy of this caliber. I was so impressed with the first one ( aquired in a trade ) that I ordered a second one exactly the way I wanted.

It is set up "tough" tactical style and it is a SA but Chris has throated it for the bullets I chose, (I sent dummy rounds to him ) matter of fact he still has them..
175SMK, 190SMK, 200 gr Accubond.. they are all seated to fit in the Wyatt's box and still function in the action. SO if you go with this caliber and Chris as the smith you already have a head start.

I feel this caliber/rifle fits a niche very nicely..

out performs the .308 and its effective range 6-800 yards.. I will easily go to 1000 yards and even as far as 1200 without alot of extra effort. It just falls short of the 300WM.. but not by alot...I'll bet with the Rock barrel it may get real close to 300WM perfromance.. I'll be able to tell soon. You have the saved weight of the SA and your not using a ton of powder.. The brass selection has improved NORMA... I use win. though...
There is a variety of factory ammo out there too!

Give it serious consideration
Old 12-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

I recommend you get the AR-30 338 Lapua. It is an awesome package, my buddy just got one and it is well worth the money. It is a lightweight gun, weighing only 12 lbs, but the break eliminates the recoil. We are going to try it out to 1k this weekend.

I will be comparing it to my PGW Timberwolf 338 Lapua. If it performs well I will be getting one as my hunting rifle.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Bronze Member

Doc I realy like the 300 WSM I had Tom make me. It shoots great. But the 338 Lapua shoots great too. I just like the more bang for the buck and shoot the 338 Lapua more.

LeMay OUT
Old 12-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Bronze Member

Dave,

You just described my GA Precision rifle.

MCM A5 (Woodland Camo)
Rem 700 LA
Rock 1:10 Fluted M24 Contuor (300WM)
Badger Bottom Metal, Lug, Bolt Knob & Brake
With a NF NXS 3X15 50 NPR2, Rings & 20MOA Base

Weigh 14.5lbs, solid .5MOA Rifle.

With a Leupold scope you could probably reduce the weight to 13.5lbs.

xring01
Old 12-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

I would go with a 300 WBY with a 11T 28" 1.250 HV fluted barrel to shoot up to 220g bullets. The 300 WM is hard to beat also [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Crow Mag