Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Bronze Member

I need help

So I am going to build a 300 RUM on a model 70 action. I want it to be a long range hunter and am not sure how i should do it.. thought about a 27 or 28 inch #5 bbl and a looked at Manners stock with a vias muzzle brake. just dont know if i should go with a #7 bbl or if i should go with a tactical stock or a hunter type of stock.. looking to shoot big game out to 1000 yards and shoot either 190 or 210gr vld.. any help and/or advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I need help

by the way i planned on trying to get a huskemaw scope for it if the scope would handle the recoil.. and i would like to try to make the rifle on the lighter side if at all possible.. thanks for the help!!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

I've got a Sendero in 300 RUM and like it. No brake, so I cant help you there. I like the Sendero contour and think it gives more consistant shooting than lighter contours. The factroy length is 26" and if/when i get it rebarreld, i'll get it in 27" length.

Stock is a matter of personal prefference. I like the HS stock on the Sendero (the older SF, not the SFII) and wouldn't change anything about it.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Montana... I plan on taking the time and getting to know the gun b4 any hunting goes on and really thought about the sendero but thought maybe i could squeeze out a little more with the new barrel on my model 70. I am really hoping that a few more people wil put in their input on here. wanna attempt to start this project soon but would love the feedback b4 the start of it. thanks again
Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Two votes for the Sendero stock. But get ear plugs and break. 300 RUM is a monster on both ends!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Would not recommend the Vais brake on a LR hunting rifle. if you plan on shooting from a bipod any.

They are very good, except that they have holes all the way around and will kick up a lot of dirt/dust off a bipod.

The Holland Radial brake, DE edge brake are much better brakes, and will cost the same or less.

BH
Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Bronze Member

I am glad you said that.. I would have not thought about that.. I need some serious help... lol... so thats one change.. anyone else with any suggestions?