Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I know, I know

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: I know, I know

I would start off with the 300 win mag or WSM. Reasonable recoil, good accuracy and enough energy at long range to do some damage.
I started with a 300 win mag and learned a lot shooting several hundred rounds a year. I still use it for elk hunting. I have loaned it to family members and they have killed as many animals as I have with it. My dad shot an antelope with it a couple years ago at a little over 400 yards. He was amazed how easy it was.
Get some good equipment that is accurate. Accuracy is the ticket, if it's not accurate you won't learn much. A good scope that tracks well doesn't need to cost a fortune, check out a Vortex or Sightron. I personally like Savage rifles for the out of the box accuracy but there are others that shoot good too.
Good shooting.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
.300 RUM. Without the long range hog shooting I'd say 7mm STW, or 7mm RUM, but if you want something capable of reliably giving you one shot kills on big hogs at that range you need to go at least with the .300 RUM.
I'm going to have to disagree this once. He wants a target/coyote, hog gun with possible deer to 1000yds. Those sure are some barrel burners for what he is trying to accomplish. In this case I think the 300WM/WSM would be the best bet due to on shelf availability of ammo and barrel life. Both can burn a barrel, but not as quick as the RUM's and STW's. Now granted, if he said it would be a dedicated rifle for Elk/Mulie/Whitetail to 1K, then I would support your above statement. JMHO

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the input guys... I'm probably going to go with the 300 WM. Now I just have to decide on which rifle to go with. I've always loved remington, but mine are older models and from reading on here, it sounds like they have gone down some in accuracy. Is this true?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

I refuse to buy remington anything. But its just a preference. I also want to recommend the .300wsm. Longer barrel life and a more efficent cartridge. I too had this exact conversation with many of the members on this forum. I agree with lil tank...

but dont tell anybody..
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLhunter620 View Post
Thanks for the input guys... I'm probably going to go with the 300 WM. Now I just have to decide on which rifle to go with. I've always loved remington, but mine are older models and from reading on here, it sounds like they have gone down some in accuracy. Is this true?
FN has a tactical "style" model in 300 wsm that would make a good entry level rifle, certainly nothing wrong with with the 300 Winchester, I wouldn't put either of these head and shoulders above the other. I'd buy either in a rifle that met my needs.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Find a Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. If you hand load get some H-1000 and 210 Bergers and you are set. If you dont hand load the 300 Win Mag has a HUGE selection of factory ammo offerings that include some great bullets.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 PM

Broz,

I really like the senderos, but if I am going to eventually add a new barrel, stock, trigger, etc. in time, is the sendero's action going to be superior to just the run of the mill remington action which I could get for much cheaper?

Lee