Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I found love with Leica scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I found love with Leica scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovdasnow View Post
what's the weight? and do you guys have a close up pic of the elevation turret?

did i read it only has 18moa of horizontal adjustment with the zero stop? how could it be so little?
I am not sure of the actual internal total elevation adjustment, but you are limited to one complete revolution of the turret and I am pretty sure it is 18 MOA. I have mine on my 243AI and one on a lightweight 280AI so it is not a real big deal as I never shoot much further than 800 with either of these rifles, but it kinda kills the usefulness of the 20 MOA bases I have on those rifles.
There is probably a pin in there somewhere that can be removed to fix the problem but there is no scale so you would constantly be wondering if you remembered to dial back down. Which leads to pulling bolts and bore sighting several times a day for me
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

so 18 minutes of dial up, plus a rail, plus the drop compensation marks.....not enough?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
so 18 minutes of dial up, plus a rail, plus the drop compensation marks.....not enough?
Since I do not use the drop compensation marks 18 MOA is not enough. I have the ballistic reticule but have never sat down with the scope to determine the value of each substention, but I prefer not to use reticules on SFP scopes.

The 20 MOA rail is made useless because of the one turn limitation. The only thing it effects is how the internals are centered in the tube body.

I bought the second one of these knowing the limitation because I like the scope that much. It is not the end all be all of long range scopes by any means, but it a great midrange scope. The clicks feel kinda mushy but it has always dialed where I wanted it.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovdasnow View Post
what's the weight? and do you guys have a close up pic of the elevation turret?

did i read it only has 18moa of horizontal adjustment with the zero stop? how could it be so little?
Haven't weighed mine, but according to Leica they are just a hair over 1 lb.

Also, mine doesn't have the exposed dial. It does have a protective cover that unscrews.........apparantly Leica listened to the review and began putting removable covers on the dials.? I am assuming I've got the latest version, because it shipped from Leica.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 AM
Silver Member

is there a zero stop on the leica with the dust cap? or just the exposed turret? and also, could you take the zero stop out somehow if you wanted to do more than one rotation?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post
is there a zero stop on the leica with the dust cap? or just the exposed turret? and also, could you take the zero stop out somehow if you wanted to do more than one rotation?
There is no stop on the low pro dust cap model I have. Standard low profile capped adjustments.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM

I just recently bought myself one of the new Leica 3.5x14 IBS G7 rifle scopes. I have tried most of the others IE/ S&B, NF, Huskemaw etc. etc. The Leica is the hands down stand out for clarity.... but... be aware of the limited MOA of travel if your main objective is LR shooting. The vertical travel is limited to 33 MOA. If you contact G7 concerning a precision turret, they refer you to KENTON INDUSTRIES. The good folks at KENTON do offer a custom turret for Leica scopes but state that you must use a 15 MOA base, and a 20 MOA would be better.
Living in Northern New Mexico, and having hunted in Africa, my all time favorite is still the HUSKEMAW BLUE DIAMOND for simplicity and speed of use.