Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I found love with Leica scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I found love with Leica scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Kinda thought that resembled the Huskemaw. Biggest complaint I have about the Huskemaws is that there isn't any hold-over marks on the reticle. Everything has to be dialed. I believe Aaron went from Huskemaw to G7.?
Aaron started G7 yes. Until I just made the above post, I had no idea the reticle I had is a G7 design.

I do not believe it has to be dialed in but is an option from what I skimmed.

I just wanted a generic MOA turret which is what I got with the scope, plus drop hashmarks so I can have the best of both worlds. I prefer using a MOA over a custom turret in case I change loads.

The reticle I have has several holdover marks. I posted the pic.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Yea, same boat. I like to use the reticle for quick shots. Looks like I'll have to check into these scopes a little more.

Thanks for posting.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

My opinion:

If Leica would create a 4x18 or 4x20x50 with an MOAR style NF reticle, same 30mm tube, same extra tube length to adjust for eye relief, they'd outsell everyone.

The next glass as a lateral move is Swaro. S&B tops both but when the glass gets this good, my eyes no longer detect a difference.

All Leica would need is a 20 MOA horizontal compensator reticle with a few MOA windage like in the one I bought and, well, they'd offer the perfect hunting scope.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a review:

It is a 42 not 44 objective though.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Mine just showed up last week. So far, just glassing with it and messing with adjustments and focus and such, I think I'll really really like it. Also got it for $1500 through Midway.

It's lightweight +
It's got excellent clarity and brightness +
It's low profile with a 30 mm tube +
It's got very generous eye relief and very forgiving/non critical eye box +
It's got an excellent reticle design for those that want MOA windage & drop +
Only downside is not alot of minutes worth of adjustment in the dial -
But I wont be dialing much anyway, if at all. It's going on a coyote hunting rifle and they don't usually give us time to dial when we call them in. Not to mention the extra movement required to look at a chart and dial the scope.

This scope is going on a lightweight, short barreled AI 6X47 Lapua. 22" Brux fluted #4, Borden action, Mcmillan HTG stock, Jewel trigger. Seekins precision rings on a picatinny rail.

Should be able to get ~3500'/sec. pretty easily with 70-75 grn bullets. That reticle is a perfect match if I've ever seen one for calling coyotes or hunting other pretators at ranges from 50 to 550 yds at my elevations. With a sight in of dead on at 150, 1" low at 200, there's a dot or dash for every 50 yd increase in distance out to 550 yds with a perfect match for my trajectory. It's also got 1 MOA windage marks on both horizontal wires and no marks on the upper vertical wire, meaning it doesn't fill the entire view with dots or dashes. Also, the dots match with odd intervals (250, 350, 450, 550) and the longer dashes are on at 300, 400 and 500 yds, main crosshair for use out to 200.

Only time and testing will show if it will hold a perfect zero and be capable of consistant sub 1/2 moa groups but I am assuming it will at this point. Love the reticle and the optics for a predator calling scope.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
I found love with Leica scopes-leica-ibs-g7-moa-reticle.jpg  

Last edited by SBruce; 11-26-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

My only problem is the zero stop only allows like 18 MOA of elevation adjustment. Other than limitation, they are great scopes. I put one on my favorite rifle I like them so much.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

what's the weight? and do you guys have a close up pic of the elevation turret?

did i read it only has 18moa of horizontal adjustment with the zero stop? how could it be so little?