Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I finaly did it!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

I finaly did it!!

I am looking at a cashiers check made out to APS Rifles, that will be mailed tomorrow! Now the hard part..... the wait. I am ordering a XHS in 338AM with a 34" barrel. I have been putting in alot of trigger time, and need alot more. My range has increased greatly, in part due to what I have learned here, thanks. On the other hand I HATE this site,it gives me very expensive ideas! But what the heck, you cant take it with you. I know some will say that the Allen Mag is to big but I like driveing big blocks, regardless the cost of gas. I all ready have a daily driver (308 win) and a street rod (340 weatherby) now I will have a top fuel dragster(338am)! It is going to be tough waiting for Kirby to get it built, but they say good things come to those who wait. I think I know what glass I want, but would appreciate all sugestions and recommendations.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Re: I finaly did it!!

what part of the high desert? i work in the great divide basin....red desert
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like something to drool over man; I've only got a 338 win at present.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingblizzard View Post
I am looking at a cashiers check made out to APS Rifles, that will be mailed tomorrow! Now the hard part..... the wait. I am ordering a XHS in 338AM with a 34" barrel. I have been putting in alot of trigger time, and need alot more. My range has increased greatly, in part due to what I have learned here, thanks. On the other hand I HATE this site,it gives me very expensive ideas! But what the heck, you cant take it with you. I know some will say that the Allen Mag is to big but I like driveing big blocks, regardless the cost of gas. I all ready have a daily driver (308 win) and a street rod (340 weatherby) now I will have a top fuel dragster(338am)! It is going to be tough waiting for Kirby to get it built, but they say good things come to those who wait. I think I know what glass I want, but would appreciate all sugestions and recommendations.
Congrats man! So you decided the AM over the raptor? Either way it will be a shooter I am sure. Elk beware!! I bet you will be in the Rawlins newspaper, headline: Man shoots and kills elk at 1500 yards!

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I all ready have a daily driver (308 win) and a street rod (340 weatherby) now I will have a top fuel dragster(338am)!)
I like the way you think!

For glass, Id go with Nightforce or U.S. Optics. I am a fan of U.S. optics, but DAMN they are expensive!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 03-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Dogdinger Iam Out of Rawlins.
Riley I just couldnt resist it any longer. I realy like Kirbys raptor,but he said getting brass is a big problem. I wasnt looking for a high volume shooter so the "short barrel life" still works out to ten plus years. As far as glass I have been thinking knight force, just what model is the question. Waiting for more info on there new models, ATACR and BEAST. I think I would rather have the vortex razorhd than the knight force nxs. The only knight force I have shot was 2 diffrent nxs's and was not impressed with the glass quality, both of my vortex pst's are clearer glass.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dogdinger Iam Out of Rawlins.
Riley I just couldnt resist it any longer. I realy like Kirbys raptor,but he said getting brass is a big problem. I wasnt looking for a high volume shooter so the "short barrel life" still works out to ten plus years. As far as glass I have been thinking knight force, just what model is the question. Waiting for more info on there new models, ATACR and BEAST. I think I would rather have the vortex razorhd than the knight force nxs. The only knight force I have shot was 2 diffrent nxs's and was not impressed with the glass quality, both of my vortex pst's are clearer glass.
That makes plenty of sense for going with the AM. My vortex pst is awesome, i love it. I havent looked through a nightforce but i am a bit surprised that you found the glass quality low on the ones you looked through. You going to shoot the 300 grain berger or smk?

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755