Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I can't decide...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

I can't decide...

I've ordered my first decent rifle and really can't decide on an optic.
The gun is a heavy barrel savage 25.06
I'm looking at a budget of $600-$700
Will be used for target, deer out to 500 yards or so, and maybe some varmint shooting.

I've been kind of hung up on getting a front focal plane reticle, but the more I think about it the less I think I will actually do much ranging with the scope. I've done a fair amount of shooting, but when it comes to real long range shooting I'm pretty much a novice. I've decided my best chance for success will be with a range finder.

I would also like a fairly wide magnification range, or at least a wide field of view.

Will I be happy with a bushnell 6500 elite 2.5 x 16? It seems to have everything I am looking for, and I see no reason I should be unhappy with the scope. I know Bushnell is not Zeiss or Swarovski, but for this kind of cash it should be a good 500 yard scope I would hope??

Should I look at a model with target knobs and a mil dot or something like the DOA 600?

TIA
Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I can't decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
I've been kind of hung up on getting a front focal plane reticle, but the more I think about it the less I think I will actually do much ranging with the scope. Good idea. I've learn that ranging w/mil dots is about as accurate as asking my wife "how far is that?"

I've decided my best chance for success will be with a range finder. Great idea. Don't go whole hog on the choice. Something advertised for 800 yds would be appropriate.

I would also like a fairly wide magnification range, or at least a wide field of view.

Will I be happy with a bushnell 6500 elite 2.5 x 16? Yep you will.

Should I look at a model with target knobs and a mil dot or something like the DOA 600? Hmmmm??? W/a 25-06 to 500 hold overs wouldn't be much. Target knobs would be appropriate but wouldja have time to adjust before the shot opportunity goes away. A drop compensated reticle may be more useful and probably faster. Your personal preference will prevail.
TIA
What I've learned is that for Long Range hunting the extra time to 'dial in' isn't much of a factor. By long range hunting I mean ambushing from a hide where the game is seen for a long time before the shot is made.

For hunting in the 500-600 yard range, with opportunities possible much longer, my carry gun's scope is a mil dot. This is usually walk and stalk hunting with little opportunity for messing with turrets.

HTH.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply.

Any more opinions on the reticle or target knobs?

In this scope I can get mil dot with target knobs, or a bullet drop reticle w/o target knobs. No target knobs on anything except the mil dot "tactical" version,
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Here are some to consider.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-6-24x50-Eli...pe-P8746.aspx: Very nice scope. I have used it and seems to offer more variable power than the 6500.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-6-18x40-Buckma...e-P42257.aspx: I own one with the target dot, but this one will give you the ballistics option if you want to go that route. I really like Nikon optics and their customer service.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Cross...e-P13295.aspx: This model has been given good reviews by guys on this sight that are currently using it. It doesn't cost a ton, but should not be overlooked.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Vipe...e-P11231.aspx: This model will more than likely be my next purchase or the PST model.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper...e-P44564.aspx: High on the list of wants!

I would also suggest some of the Sightron SIII, but they are out of the price range you are looking into.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

I just put a Viper Vortex 6.5 x 20 x 44 on my 300 wsm and it is great, fired 10 rounds so far doing barrel breakin and the adjustments are right on..
Old 04-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

The whole Vortex line seems to be very nice. I went with a Crossfire from Vortex, and I'm very pleased. Many members on the Savageshooters forum have given thier stamp of approval, also.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

For just a few more $$$, don't overlook the ...

Sightron SIII 6-24 X 50 Black Matte, Mil Dot, SIII624x50LRMD, Rifle Scope: Arcadian Sales

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.