Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

I am very dissapointed with Berger bullets regarding the 338 hybrid bullet.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

I am very dissapointed with Berger bullets regarding the 338 hybrid bullet.

First let me say; no-one is more of a fan of Berger bullets than I am, perhaps that is the root of my disappointment. If any other company would have made the claims Berger did about an upcoming bulllet they were going to introduce, and the results ended up being far short of those claims, I would not have been nearly as disapointed.

How long have we been teased with this bullet? Two years as least. I am one of the guys who has spent a lot of money on a custom rifle (and dies) built specifically to shoot a bullet with a BC of nearly .9. Now we find out the bullets BC is barely above .8 and can not withstand (in some or most rifles) much more than 2800 fps, almost certainly not the velocities the 338 Yogi I am having Dave Tooley built will produce.

I find it unimaginable that a company with the reputation of Berger bullets would not thoroughly test and confirm, at an absolute minimum, the ballistic coefficient and velocity ceiling of the bullets before ever talking about them in public. It would have been ok to say you were working on something in the 338 caliber and to give goals regarding BC, etc. But to publish data before thoroughly testing and confirming it is unacceptable.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I am very dissapointed with Berger bullets regarding the 338 hybrid bullet.

I don't own a .338 but I do keep up on bullet technology. I'm not at all surprised that the bullet didn't make .9 B.C. but other than that, what else did you find? Sounds like maybe they are coming unglued at velocity?......Rich
Old 06-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Elkaholic, here's the latest Berger Bulletin that'll explain.

Berger Bulletin Update Regarding the .338 Hybrids
Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1 View Post
elkaholic, here's the latest berger bulletin that'll explain.

berger bulletin update regarding the .338 hybrids
thanks chas! Thats what i needed....rich
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Your welcome, glad to be able to help.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine sniper View Post
First let me say; no-one is more of a fan of Berger bullets than I am, perhaps that is the root of my disappointment. If any other company would have made the claims Berger did about an upcoming bulllet they were going to introduce, and the results ended up being far short of those claims, I would not have been nearly as disapointed.

How long have we been teased with this bullet? Two years as least. I am one of the guys who has spent a lot of money on a custom rifle (and dies) built specifically to shoot a bullet with a BC of nearly .9. Now we find out the bullets BC is barely above .8 and can not withstand (in some or most rifles) much more than 2800 fps, almost certainly not the velocities the 338 Yogi I am having Dave Tooley built will produce.

I find it unimaginable that a company with the reputation of Berger bullets would not thoroughly test and confirm, at an absolute minimum, the ballistic coefficient and velocity ceiling of the bullets before ever talking about them in public. It would have been ok to say you were working on something in the 338 caliber and to give goals regarding BC, etc. But to publish data before thoroughly testing and confirming it is unacceptable.
Marine Sniper,

I am with you in your disappointment. I did not build a rifle just for these bullets, but did pick up some to shoot out of a 338 Lap Imp that is waiting for its custom stock to get finished. It now looks like I will have to sell them. There simply is no point in down loading the rifle in order to shoot them. If I wanted to shoot under 2800 fps I would have chambered a smaller caliber.

Seems like a colossal mistake on Berger's part. How many people shooting small 338's are wanting to shoot a 300g bullet?

I must say that if this was Light Varmint making this announcement he would have been drawn and quartered by now. Not defending him, but fair is fair.

Steve
Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I DID basically build a rifle around this bullet, and the velocity limitations are a major let down. I need to back off on velocity 250 fps to get down to 2800...why not use the SMK's at 3000+ fps instead?