Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Huskemaw scope for my Savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Huskemaw scope for my Savage?

Buy the best glass you can afford. Many people make custom turrets for under $100.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

wow, lots of good info so far. it seems as though I have a difficult decision to make. What is the general thought on Nikon's scopes? I'm just wondering because good ole Direct Buy has them for sale for close to wholesale (not only that, but im about to order their 1200 gold laser range finder for about $320. that's just an fyi for anyone who has direct buy, but hasn't necessarily found the nikon stuff. they sell their whole hunting line of optics.)

One thing i like about Huskemaw is that the reticle allows one to range their animal just in case your rangefinder breaks or goes missing or whatever. More of an insurance policy that hopefully won't get used a lot but nice to have.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Just my opinion but I would rank ranging at the bottom option in picking a scope. We have excellent range finders and getting a range via your reticule just doesn't seem to end up being accurate or practical enough for LRH. The exception may be one of the Horus reticules. If I can't get a range there is usually something going on that will also impede making a quality shot.
Nikon makes a good product but it usually lacks a little in adjustment when you get up into the higher mag.
The one thing the aftermarket turrets don't have is the windage built into the turret.
I personally lean to the Huskemaw because of the magnification and I think the reticule is cleaner and the windage marks are very simple yet effective. The reticule is just so clean and simple!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Gold Member

Not that it matters but the grey bull ranges also but I agree with Biggrn if your having to use your scope to get the range its probably not a good situation for a long range shot. Or the reason to pick whichever scope you go with. I talked to a guy the other day that has both. He says they both work great but he liked the grey bull better. I'm sure you will be happy with either one l.

Last edited by ovastafford; 04-09-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

I agree that chosing a scope based on range finding should be a very low consideration, if a consideration at all. IMO, there are other scopes with better reticles for range finding. NF has several that would be much bettter for rangefinding, or any scope with an MOA or MIL type reticle.

The Huskemaw looks like a good scope to me, but I'm not sure it's worth the price tag. I would get a Vortex or a Zeiss Conquest for the $$$. That's just me.

-Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 04-09-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Nightforce.............
Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Nightforce.............
Not impressed with Husks optics at all. Great idea and all, but if you want Walmart Bushnell's quality glass for 10X the money then go ahead and get one. Cant say on Grey Bull. Never seen one but unless it is built on a VX-1 it will be better glass than the Husks. My .02 worth, take it or leave it.