Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Huskemaw scope for my Savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Bronze Member

Huskemaw scope for my Savage?

Hey everyone, I was just hoping to get some good advice from anyone who's got it.

I just ordered a Savage 111 long range hunter which should arrive in a day or two. After breaking it in, I will be purchasing a new scope for it. I've spent a decent amount of time researching the Huskemaw scope set up and am currently leaning in that direction but I thought that now would be the time to find out if I should be looking into anything else and so far nothing else has captured my eye.

I hunt for elk around Mt St Helens in Washington which, if you didn't know, is very wide open in some parts and very thick forests in other parts. (i prefer the wide open spots)
I hunt deer in St John, WA. It is pretty much all hilly farm land.

I'd like a scope that can help reach out to about 1000 yards, but when I realisticly think about it, I probably won't be taking hunting shots out past 800 or so max.

Huskemaw scope or something else???

Thanks for the help!!
Rana
Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Huskemaw scope for my Savage?

If you like the Huskemaw check out the grey bull precision scope. I have no experience with the husk but I have the grey bull scope and its outstanding. Check it out GreyBull Precision > Home Good Luck!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

I think an optic like the Huskemaw or the Greybull would be an excellent option for a guy who is not a habitual tinker. I can't leave anything alone so I have to stay with dialing MOA and a ballistics program. At the ranges your talking the BDC turret is probably the least frustrating with the least possibility of error way to go.
That combo should make for an easy to put together LRH rig, can't wait to see some actual shooting reports on that rifle!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

I handled a Huskemaw scope for the first time at the local Wholesale Sports the other day. It "felt" fairly solid and the glass was nice.

If you can afford a NF, I would say go with that.

-Mark
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=

Huskemaw scope or something else???

Thanks for the help!!
Rana[/QUOTE]

I don't have a Huskemaw, but I suspect it's a fine scope. That said, for HALF the money, you can get a Leupold VXIII-L and for 63 bucks add a custom Leupold torrent. All you do is tell them the info, bullet weight, cal, BC and MV and they send you a custom torrent where you dial the yardage, not count clicks or MOA. Get a Varmint Hunter reticle and set the torrent up with your last reticle, some of mine are 400 some 500, so my torrent zero is 400 and I dial from there and shoot the 400 yard reticle. All of my guns can dial to 1000 yards like that. But get the Tall Target torrent option. More room to print the yardage marks so you can dial further out.

I have 5 Leupolds, 2 Nightforces, and assorted cheap stuff...
Robbin
Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

I just purchased a Huskemaw for my 7RUM. My smith who is also trueing the
action and building my loads has evrything so I cant yet speak from experience.
I was really torn between the greybull and the Husky so I talked to people
who have used both. An outfitter that I hunt with from Cody WY who I really, really respect does primarly back country hunts. Sheep, elk and deer . He has both scopes on different rifles and speaks highly of each. He says that the glass quality is very close. both are consistent and reliable otherwise he wouldnt be taking them in the backcountry. The only knock on them both is that they dont fit very well into scabbards for the horses. I chose the husky to get the 20 X but felt
that either would be great.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

I chose the grey bull because Im a leupold guy. Almost every scope I own is leupold so it was the logical pick for me. I know how good leupold is about customer service and warranty. To adjust the turret the huske has a coin screw on top which I really like compared to the allen screws on the grey bull. The advantage the grey bull has over the huske is the alumina aluminum scope caps. They are sweet. Im sure you will be happy with either one. Good Luck!