Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Huskamaw to fancy for my rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Huskamaw to fancy for my rifle?

I'll chime in on the theme of there ain't no scope that's "too" good your rifle.

Regarding objective lens diameter: I had a 40 mm 16X SuperSniper that was horrible when looking at the shady side of the mountain during the day. Couldn't even use the rifle.

Having said the above, a 44mm Weaver Tactical was plenty good well into darkness and compared favorably with a 50 MM Nightforce NXS.

I'm guessing that with the quality of the glass in the Huskamaw a couple of mm isn't going to be a deal breaker.

Besides that I get kind of queasy with making the choice to take the shot in poor light....

Unread 12-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think so. About four years ago I put a 5x20x50 Huskemaw on my Savage LRH costing less than half the scope. I felt similar to yourself at the time, but it turned out to be a great decision based on the shooting qualities of the scope. I would definitely recommend it if your pocketbook can take it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Unread 12-02-2014, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the feed back. I will post the scope decision.
Unread 12-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Bronze Member

As Clay Spencer says. Buy the gun you can afford and the scope you can't .
Unread 12-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member

A rifle is only as good as the optics on it! You can have a 5k custom rifle that won't be as great as it could be with a 200 dollar Walmart scope compared to a scope from night force, huskamaw, vortex, leupold, and many others. Like said, "buy the gun you can afford and the scope you can't". That's my take on it anyways
Unread 12-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Scope technology is so good these days, I buy the scope, and then mount a rifle on it.
Unread 12-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

I concur with a number of other respondents... To get the best glass you can afford. I found this article of top tier scopes tested extremely helpful in making my decision on my last scope. I'm very pleased that I took the time to thoroughly review it... and re-review it Different things matter to each of us when we are looking to make a purchase like this, and this tested a wide array of scope features and qualities. Though the scope you selected initially isn't listed here, this might give you some other options to consider, or at least to think about in considering the exact scope you do want.

I am linking the results page, however, within it you can find links to optical clarity test, mechanical...etc. good luck and good optics to you!!!!

Tactical Scopes: Field Test Results Summary & Overall Scores | PrecisionRifleBlog.com