Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hunting with tactical rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hunting with tactical rifle?

S1

Do not lay it on too thick now.

Eagle nylon is great gear! Have quite a bit myself.

Terminal velocity is 120 mph. You can reach speeds of 200 mph but not in a stable position and average jumper cannot do it, much less with equipment. Got to stand on your head or delta.

No one jumps above 40,000 feet. Pressure suit needed. US held the military record until mid 70s then Soviets took it. We were going to break it but cost too much to get pressure suits and all training needed to go to the mid 40K range jumping and not useful anyway. Max HALO and HAHO jumps are around 30,000, no need to go higher. Velocity is only accelerated little over 120mph at 30K in stable position.

BH

"Master Halo Wings and HALO Instructor"
Old 01-09-2003, 08:04 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

S1

You can have him call me at DSN 278-5725. I set up the first square HALO/HAHO course when I was the Safety Officer on the HALO committee at Ft. Bragg and two Special Forces HALO teams, one demonstration team in Europe and I have over a 1000 jumps. I will be happy to talk to him! I might know him as the SEALS had to go through the HALO course at Bragg for qualification anyway.

PS broke my back on a square jump also. By the way, that is not a qualification for expertise. Seal Tm 6 is now called Dev Group too.

BH

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:43 PM

Old 01-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

Is the speed theese guy reaching faster than a speeding bullet [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]. Iknow that both of you guys are very serious about this business. Almost sounds like Army vs Navy the battle will always continue [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Alot of people on this board are VETS,myself included.

Now out of the loop, we still like to know whats going on. Sometime we can't becuase things are still classified. On a need to know basis, I've been out for quite a while but, I still like to know what new toys we have and can do! Don't get me wrong we were taught to respect and learn so can we do that without the attitude towards each other please.

THIS WAS THE FIRST AND ONLY BOARD that I signed onto and I love and respect it!!!
Hopefully everyone else feels some kind of dedication to it also... PROTECT it like it was a portion of your body.

Sorry for the long post but, felt I had to get this off my chest. The information that each and everyone gives may help someone trying to learn.
In fact my son came home from high school this evening and told me his History teacher received a 7mm mag from her father for Christmas. And I gave him our web site to checkout since she loves guns so much.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

S1

Yes I am fully aware that only 2 guys (non-military)over a period of several years jumped at up to 100K out of high altitude balloons. Last guy to try, died doing it and it was simply a world record event that has nothing to do with military tactical employment. So do not make it sound like this is something any military(Army, Navy, SAS etc) is doing because they are not. Most tactical employments take place less than 30K because of all the equipment and training needed to go higher. Occassionaly went into the low 30K but at 30K I have got a 25 Mile downwind glide path. Bottom line, there is no tactical advantage to going higher. I have friends still in the darkside units teaching HALO and have never heard of a 40k tactical jump other than the record attempts years ago. In fact only 1-2 tactical aircraft capable of flying at those altitude carrying troops.

You are right the school at Bragg is not the only place that does HALO/HAHO but it is the only place that sets the training standards for all of the services in that arena, just like the Navy sets the standards for the SF scuba courses.

Texas

Has nothing to do with Army versus Navy. Greatest respect and admiration for any guys who still do that. Simply anti-BS on someone who I doubt has done it (do not make helmets that big) and suddenly is an expert due to associating with people who have. Exploits and one shot skills (only two misses in last several years) have surpassed superman on steroids. Based on what I have seen posted our Olympic shooters are just babes in the woods. Just haven't seen prove of anything yet! But then easy to shot LR when you always shoot in a tailwind (bullet pushed by hot air).

BH
Old 01-10-2003, 11:27 AM