Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hunting rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Bronze Member

Hunting rest?

For hunting, what are folks using for a solid rest? In preperation for an upcoming Wyoming antelope hunt, I had my 12 year old daughter shoot off a bipod the other night at 200 yds. She did good, but thought the gun was "wiggly". She wanted a rear bag.

Are you shooting off packs, packing in rear bags and bipods? What is the best way to steady up a rifle in the field for a solid rest?

Thanks for any help.

Erik
Old 08-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Hunting rest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFR View Post
For hunting, what are folks using for a solid rest? In preperation for an upcoming Wyoming antelope hunt, I had my 12 year old daughter shoot off a bipod the other night at 200 yds. She did good, but thought the gun was "wiggly". She wanted a rear bag.

Are you shooting off packs, packing in rear bags and bipods? What is the best way to steady up a rifle in the field for a solid rest?

Thanks for any help.

Erik
I use a bipod and rear bag prone, but sometimes you need to get above the weeds so I am tacking one of these this year .

Old 08-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

That Field Pod is real nice. It looks like they can be had for under $80. That's a smokin deal, IMO.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

I would recommend the Bog-Pod! Very nice rest and very sturdy. You can buy various adapters for it. I took mine to Wyoming in 09 and will again this year. However in 09, I was able to shoot my Muledeer prone using only my Bi-pod.

BOGgear.com - Home of the BOG-POD Shooting Sticks!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

keep in mind I haven't used that caldwell thingy, but I have used stoney points setup that has rear support that extends to the rear of the stock via a little add on piece that goes down to one of the legs. the biggest problem for me is the rear of the stock moving side to side with a setup like that. the up and down frankly is mostly taken out by some shooting sticks or detached bipod. I would worry that caldwell thing would have the same problem and not take out the rear side to side motion. separate bipods one for the front and one for the rear isn't a bad way to go and that does get rid of the rear side to side.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

I bought the Caldwell, but haven't been able to fully test it yet. I did some dry firing with it though, and it was better than any combination of bipod and such I have tried in the past (except for prone). Of course it is not equal to a bench rest but I would be comfortable using it to 600 yds or so for antelope. Beyond that I want to be prone with bipod and bag or rear monopod.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Bipod, telephone pole, sling, shooting sticks, fence post, tree, rocks whatever works as the sitiuation dictates.

For your daughter's situation a monopod under the butt would solve the issue. They work great when shooting prone .

Accu-Shot Precision Monopod - Mid-Range Locking (BT05) with Quick Knob Option

You can cut yourself some 3x3 square wood blocks of varying thicknesses to set under it if the situation warrants and then fine tune for elevation with the built in adjuster.

Won't help at all unless you are shooting prone or off of some sort of bench. For sitting, kneeling, standing you just have to practice a lot.