Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hunting with a muzzle brake, ear protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hunting with a muzzle brake, ear protection

I use the rubber ear plugs on a string. They go in quicker than the foam ones you have to squeeze.

As dumb as this sounds;
My reminder to put them in is I never load my gun until I'm ready to shoot. This way I don't snap shot at an animal I jump. The plugs are then a routine before the gun is loaded just like going to the range.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

I now use MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-x for all hunting situations. Intensifies low sounds, cuts out muzzle blasts and I can stay in constant contact with my hunting buddies through radio connection.

http://www.srstactical.ca/pdf/supreme_proX.pdf
Old 08-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Gold Member

i usualy hunt my own property, and that's prone from a hill somewhere or in a tree stand. Either way i have time to put on muffs, in the winter, ill just keep em on (i use some relatively cheap electrical ones) since they're nice and warm. in the summer i put them on when i first spot game.

I'm still young and know a lot of older hunters who have hearing issues so im learning from their experiences.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

I get the chance to wear hearing protection every day at work for my Personal Protective equipment. One thing about wearing the ear plugs people tend to talk louder when wearing them. Which isn't a problem if you hunt by yourself. Now most muzzle blasts(non braked also) are above 85decibels. This is when hearing damage starts to occur. So you should wear them all the time. I hate wearing hearing protection when hunting, but I have noticed the loss of hearing and figure I better start before it is to late.

I purchased a cheap(about $60) pair of noise cancelling ear plugs awhile back and found out they are worthless. I don't know if the more expensive ones are better I haven't found anyone who uses them. I am going the route of the suppressor/silencer. I think they are worth the time and effort.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

We have several people here who make brakes. Has anybody considered making something like this for a hunting rifle?

DPMS : Levang Linear Compensator - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

I have one on my AR and really like it. While it naturally doesn't reduce recoil as much as other brakes do, it does reduce it a noticeable amount while actually reducing muzzle blast and noise a bit instead of increasing it.

It's a very simple design, somebody ought to be able to make them in .308 and .338 cal.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Bronze Member

I use plugs no matter what gun I'm shooting
Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
We have several people here who make brakes. Has anybody considered making something like this for a hunting rifle?

DPMS : Levang Linear Compensator - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

I have one on my AR and really like it. While it naturally doesn't reduce recoil as much as other brakes do, it does reduce it a noticeable amount while actually reducing muzzle blast and noise a bit instead of increasing it.

It's a very simple design, somebody ought to be able to make them in .308 and .338 cal.
Thanks for posting the link, quite a different design than what I'm use to seeing.