Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hunting with a muzzle brake, ear protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Silver Member

Hunting with a muzzle brake, ear protection

For you guys that hunt with brakes, I assume you use ear protection. I was thinking that it would be no issue when you have time to set up and range a long shot to slip on a set of ear muffs. What about if something pops out at 200 yards and you have to make a quick shot?

Any advice? I am thinking about hunting with my 300 WM this year but it has a brake on it. I'm already a bit hard of hearing and don't want to make it worse.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Hunting with a muzzle brake, ear protection

I have a pair of Howard Leight earmuffs.

Low profile, battery operated.... heck, I hear better wearing them while hunting and they shut down when you shoot.

You can still have a great check weld, hear great, lightweight, well priced....

just my $ .02

link here...

Cabela's -- Howard Leight Impact™ Sport Earmuff
Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Normal rifles without brakes have always been bearable for me when hunting.

But I am getting a 300 WSM built with a brake, and intend on trying some type of automatic hearing protection when I use it. I think Walkers Game Ear makes some of these? Probably some others that do to.

Reason I plan to use something, is just what you mention..........the close unexpected shot is way more likely for me when hunting Muleys or Whitetail in the area where I hunt. Reason 2 is that I once forgot to put in my earplugs with a 357 revolver. One shot was all it took to remind me, and my left ear still isn't right. anymore, even shooting a .223 rifle from the bench hurts my left ear unless I've got protection in..............357's are brutal, and I think braked rifles would be just as bad.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

All my hunting rifles have MBs ... no doubt hearing protection is a must. Most of the time I just use those cheap foam ear plugs since I always wear another layer on my noggin for warmth but also serves as another layer of ear protection. Below is with my trusty old Savage 111F in .300 WM with last year's antelope harvest.

It's no excuse but have to admit I have taken shots without ear protection afield ... and it wasn't too bad ... as long as it's only one shot. Multiple shots without protection is a bad juju. Blast and noise level from the direction of the ports angles are worst.

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

Well Ed, I needed that pic. It's about a 100 degrees here right now with 70% or so humidity.
gonna be over 100 all this week.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

I've never hunted with ear protection because it never seemed to be loud but your ear still does all the work even though your brain don't register it, hence my hearing is not what it should be for my age. I finally just broke my self to wearing the Howard Leigh low pro muffs and now I can't hunt without them and have totally adjusted to them, nice not to have that ringing in my melon while walking back to the truck.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

I dont wear ear protection while hunting and I shoot a 300 rum with a break on it. I shoot my animals under 300 yards also. Its not that noticeable unless you unload the magazine on a running animal which I have done and then its definetly unpleasant.