Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hunting drop charts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Hunting drop charts?

I have been shooting long range for two years now but haven't hunted long range yet. I have a few questions. First I'm wondering about the G7 ballistic program. I like being able to verify my ballistics. But haven't done this yet. I have always used my phone for it and don't want to have to rely on a battery during a week long hunt. When printing off the range card how do you know what temp/pressure you be in? In September the temp can go from low 30s to 70s. Also the elevation can rise/fall 1000 feet. Do you just take several different papers with?
Thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Re: Hunting drop charts?

you can fit a lot of info on one sheet. I have seen guys put bullet drop by temp from the 20's to the 100's from 100 yards to 1000 all on one sheet and laminated it.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

I use range cards with Density Altitude every 1000 ft. I will bring four or five depending on the day. You will need a program or weather station (Kestrel 4000) that will convert pressure, temp and dew point to the associated air density.

If current DA is 2300, pull out your 2000 card. Change cards corresponding to the current DA with temperature and/or elevation changes. Cards are a great backup to verify your computer generated G7 solution.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1mens1onsh00ter16 View Post
you can fit a lot of info on one sheet. I have seen guys put bullet drop by temp from the 20's to the 100's from 100 yards to 1000 all on one sheet and laminated it.
This is similar to what I did. I put it all on an excel spreadsheet so I know how many more/less clicks I have at different temperatures as well as altitudes. Having it on one sheet is a lot easier than fumbling through 15 different ones.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
This is similar to what I did. I put it all on an excel spreadsheet so I know how many more/less clicks I have at different temperatures as well as altitudes. Having it on one sheet is a lot easier than fumbling through 15 different ones.
Yeah it seems to work great for those guys. I will do the same once I get data out of the new rifle. I will also put the avg temp during whitetail season from 100 to about 500 yards under my flip up lens cap for a very quick reference. I do not need to worry about elevation since there will not be enough of an elevation variation to make a difference.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

+1 to dimension. I think its important to consider applicable range with your skill and equipment. I shoot a 308 with fairly temperature stable powder, and wont attempt a shot on a game animal over 6-7 hundred yards. So i dope my load in the fall, which is about when i do most hunting and is between weather extremes here in texas. After a year or so with this load im pretty confident with making small adj according to weather, so i only carry one dope chart.

If your shooting around 1k+ or just pushing the limits of your equipment you may need to be much more particular.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Hello Everyone,

As many of you may know by now, I am new to firearms and hunting.
In fact this season will be the first time every for me to go hunting. (55 yrs old)
I just purchased a Weatherby Vanguard 2 .270 caliber Rifle and bought a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 scope for it.

On the VORTEX OPTICS website they include a Long Range Ballistic Calculator.
I really don't understand this information much as I've just begun to use it.
Lucky for me, besides allowing you to input your own data for those who reload their ammunition, they also include a drop-down box for standard ammunition which then populates the information accordingly.

I have been trying it out just to see what information it provides and I noticed something perhaps one of you could explain.
I first input the weather conditions for Today (July 10, 2013) which is 100 degrees, no wind, no moisture.
It indicated that the bullet drop would be 5.5" at 400 yards.
I then input weather information showing the temperature at 35 degrees, a 10 mile an hour wind from left to right and 50% humidity. That change re-calibrated the bullet drop to 5.7" at 400 yards.

I'm assuming that isn't all that great of a drop between 100 yds. and 400 yds. but, I was wondering if it is the temperature which made this drop occur?

I also found this website for Weather History which allows you to go back in time to say, last years opening day to see what the Temp. and Winds and Humidity were like on average.
I thought it might be a good tool to see what I might expect on average for this years upcoming season.

Anyways, does the colder temperatures account for a larger Bullet Drop ?

Being new to hunting and Firearms, I am practicing at 100 yds. and 200 yds. range and can't see myself shooting any further than 400 yds. what with my skill set being new.

The VORTEX Diamondback Riflescopes I purchased comes with a Dead-Hold BDC reticle.

BTW, the reason I decided on the Vortex was due to their outstanding Warranty.
Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Hunting drop charts?-sub_dbk_s_3-9x40_bdc_moa.jpg