Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hunting boots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hunting boots

I have to give my .02 on this one. I have had better than great success with Danner boots. They fit my foot very well and are as tough as they come. I took a set of these 435 GTX on a 50 mile Scout hike last year on the Boulder Mtns here in Southern Utah. They didn't get the name Boulder Mtn's by accident. Well actually they did, but thats another story for another day. Either way the name fits. On day two we Climbed from around 8800 feet to 10200 feet. The trail was tough and I was loaded with around 60 - 65Lbs. These boots hit the trail brand new and my feet never knew the difference.

453? GTX All-Leather Hiking Boots - Boots - Danner
Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

In your price range I'd recommend the Cabela's Meindles Alaskan hikers. Out of your price range I'd highly recommend the Kenetrek's. That's what I'm switching to. But the Meindles have worked very well for me over the last few years.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

I have used heavweight hiking/climbing for several years with good success. What I am using now is the Glacier by La Sportiva, its gore tex lined, has outstanding ankle support and 6 inch tops. I wear gaitors for most wet conditions. Previous to this I used Scarpa, again a heavy duty climbing boot, all leather and a 4-6 inch top. I wanted the gore tex is why I changed. Both of these are "heavy" boots with stiff footbeds and will essentiall take you anywhere!!!They need a good break in!

Have had three pairs of Whites for my work , a truly great boot but they leak like hell.

Last edited by Elkmen; 07-02-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkmen View Post
I have used heavweight hiking/climbing for several years with good success. What I am using now is the Glacier by La Sportiva, its gore tex lined, has outstanding ankle support and 6 inch tops. I wear gaitors for most wet conditions. Previous to this I used Scarpa, again a heavy duty climbing boot, all leather and a 4-6 inch top. I wanted the gore tex is why I changed. Both of these are "heavy" boots with stiff footbeds and will essentiall take you anywhere!!!They need a good break in!

Have had three pairs of Whites for my work , a truly great boot but they leak like hell.
Wow Ive never had a problemb with Whites leaking untill they'd been re-soled two-three times. Ive always used Obenaughs and been thrilled with mine.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

winmag
I had a dealer in Missoula Montana tell me that when wearing Whites, if one wanted your feet to stay dry then you had to stand on high ground. I loved them as you do they are very comfortable, but never had a pair that didn't leak and I found them cold especially in cold damp conditions. I wore them every day in the woods for about 10 years then intermitdely after that. I really hated to get rid of the last paire but when I had them rebuilt the last time in the late 80's they were just a little tight so I moved on to something else.

By the way I have been hunting with a .300 win mag since 1970 and love it with 180 Nosler Partitions.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

I love my Danner Pronghorns. They aren't going to last as long as many mentioned but they are super light, extremely comfortable and 100% waterproof plus you can get a pair for about $175. When they wear out, you'll get some more.....Rich
Old 07-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the suggestions hard to go to cabelas and try to get a suggestion from store peopl who have no idea. I will see which ones I can find and feel best