Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hunting boots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Gold Member

Hunting boots

I am looking for a good hunting boot for the mountains. I plan to use mainly early season so little to no insulation is probably the best. What models would serve well from mountains to the plains? I don't want to spend more than $300.00 Also water proof yes or no?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hunting boots

I use lundhag boots from sweden , they are a superb boot but i don't know how much they would cost in the states ?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

My feet have always froze in central PA woods in deer season. They have always been heavy and uncomfortable.... that is until I found and tried Irish Setter boots. Now mine are insulated, and I love them, but I would definitely look into Irish Setter brand boots. I would still look into a 200gram Thinsulate for the cold mornings. Water proof depends on your environment. If you know that where you hunt you are going to stay dry, than don't make it a concern. Should you think you will be rained on and walk through morning dew, then it should be a strong consideration.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

Mendl made in Germany you can get them at Cabelas for around 275-280 best boot I've very worn. Also a big plus was zero breakin. You can get them insulated or uninsulated.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

I have boots made. Always the most comfortable. Shell out the cash once and they will last you a life time if you treat them rt.

White's or Hathorns!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman64 View Post
I have boots made. Always the most comfortable. Shell out the cash once and they will last you a life time if you treat them rt.

White's or Hathorns!
+1 With Whites!! The old Hawthorns were great, the new ones..........not so much. They take a while to break in, so start using them asap, and youll never own a more comfy pair of boots, tho they might be a little too much boot for flatland stuff. Either way they last a long time. I go thru 3-4 pairs of hiking boots a year if I dont have my Whites. Im very hard on footwear. But if I have my Whites, and wear them in combination with my hiking boots, I can go 1 1/2 years on a pair of hiking boots. I hardly ever wear them cause the Whites are so comfy. Theyre some rugged,tough, and long lasting boots.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 07-02-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

I live and work in the mountains everyday and the Danner Winterlite boots with 200 grams insulation or the Danner Rainforest are hard to beat during summer and fall working or hunting. They are about $250 bucks and last about 3-5 years depending. The insides usually fail before they are wore out and they are good and water proof for about 2 years then the goretex goes bad.

I get them a size narrower and a half size longer then my regular knock around boots. That way your foot does not move around when sidehilling and your toes donít hit the end on steep downhills. Go to a good boot shop and you can get a proper fitting for the first pair then when you know your size you can shop for the best price. That goes for any brand of boot you decide on.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein