Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

HUGE ELK...NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: HUGE ELK...NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I bet its either one of the escaped Pet elk from Southern Idaho or a Utah Bull. I hunt the Selway a lot and they don't have an archery season. Early Rifle in the Selway opens on 9-15 and I doubt some guy with a bow is hunting during the rifle season on a Selway rifle tag. The escaped elk were cross bred with Euopean Red Stags for antler size and it looks weird enough for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're saying but ....Pet elk...man that cracks me up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Bronze Member

The reason I say Pet elk is that one of my buddies recently got one with a bow and the dumb thing walked up to him like it wanted petted or to be hand fed! The good thing was that he shot it and gets to shoot as many as he can find, plus fill his regular tag on a real elk! Doesn't get much better!

Boone and crocket is trying to figure it out also.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/troph...CA-A2E3462D4D22
Old 09-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Gold Member

Roy, Im probably the least experienced elk hunter in this forum. I did not imply it was a canned hut, just said it might have been, so if its not , great. It just sounds strange that such a huge elk is hunted with a bow since those that grow up to that size in the wild have probably learned to remain hidden and arew very suspicious. In any case one can get very lucky and find this beast. So congratulations to whoever the hunter is.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

This picture has also been posted on archerytalk.com, another of my haunts. Some of the guys think it is a doctored up picture and I think it probably is, too. If it is real, we will start hearing about it from some more legitimate sources.
An animal with antlers like that would have nothing to fear from me because I would be curled up in the fetal position sucking my thumb! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

NRA Life Member
Old 09-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

After a few more looks, it really looks like something is wrong.

On the left antler, the one with the "crown", look at how the mass decreases evenly UNTIL this "NEW" antler. Also look at the hunter on the left, the antler ends at his chest, but the other antler seems to extend about 3 feet!

I will be dreaming about this animal...even though I think that it may be a hoax.

edge.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Bronze Member

Looks like these guys were taking a nice walk and happened to kill a big elk. Nice grazed down grass in the picture, not a bead of sweat on either forehead, wearing freshly laundered clothes. Big ranch raised bull IMHO.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 PM
SPONSOR

Note the water in the background, and how clean the bull is. I have hunted elk alot, and during the rut, have seen very few clean bulls that close to the water. Where are the bow's? Looks like a high fence hunt to me.

Nice bull though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]