Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

HS vs. Bell and Carlson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: HS vs. Bell and Carlson

FBI sniper at Ruby Ridge, Idaho who shot Randy Weavers wife in the head, & was also at Waco Texas, for the David Koresh compound incident.
Ok, so I'm not too fond of the way things were handled at either place.
What's his tie with HS Precision?
My Google function is played out today.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

If the sniper who was at these two events was using a Bell and Carlson thumb hole stock I would be surprised, but then again the government uses the cheaper bid more often then not. So....imagine the shot he would have made with the HS.
The Thread starter asked about the HS and Bell and Carlson so I did not mention anything else. I do think the MPI stocks look good But for now Manners gets my money for the Winchester Thumb hole stock gig.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Gold Member

Newer B&C stocks especially the medalist are alot nicer than the stocks they use to put out. I have a A5 medalist on a 338 edge and it is a excellent stock. I have had alot of HS stocks.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Within the Bell and Carlson line of stocks, if the medalist is a cadilac then the Thumb hole is a huffy pedal bike with a bent frame and that is my observation and opinion.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
Newer B&C stocks especially the medalist are alot nicer than the stocks they use to put out. I have a A5 medalist on a 338 edge and it is a excellent stock. I have had alot of HS stocks.
Agreed. I have a few rifle wrapped in medalist stocks, and I'm impressed with the quality. I have had to do some minor modications to some to enhance the fit since they are a mass produced stock made to fit individual rifles. Overall, it's probably the best kevlar composite value out there with full aluminum bedding. I agree with the saying "you get what you pay for." In this instance, you definitely get what you pay for and then some.

Ask around some of the custom builders out there using B&C stocks. Greybull, GAP, among others. It's a viable option for accuracy that can save you some cash to put in to more important things, like optics.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Bronze Member

A few years back I bought a Savage 10FP in 308, the stock it came with was garbage and the rifle shot about 4.5 MOA. I went throught Bells and Carlson for a Medalist stock that cost me a reasonable $250. First thing I noticed is that the stock did not fit the rifle properly. The 10FP has three screw in points in the receiver, the stock only had two, and the trigger guard did not fit on the stock. And yes I did verify that the stock was for my rifle and not another. After I took it to a gunsmith for some fitting that rifle shot excellent! I was dissapointed in the flaws in the stock, but it did not take long to correct them. And for that price, I could not really complain anyway. That is just my singe experience with Bells and Carlson, im sure they make a good product.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Gold Member

I have had both and in my experience the inletting on the b&c looks better. A couple of my HS stocks had really been chipped away inside and the inletting looked very sloppy. Both are great stocks and worked great. For the money I would take the B&C but if Im going to spend more I would jump up to Manners/Mcmillan class stocks. Just my .02