Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

HS precision stock in 700 ss 5R remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

HS precision stock in 700 ss 5R remington

Hey guys,

I have heard or read somewhere that the stock in the remington 5R 308 that I have ordered has an aluminum bedding block installed in the stock. Is this true? if it is...is there still a possiblity that I may still have to have the rifle bedded? By all accounts, it seems like the answer is no...but im just curious. anyone with this same rifle or knowledge of them, could u chime in?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: HS precision stock in 700 ss 5R remington

I think the Stock is made by HS Precision.

Similar to Sendero's.

Many choose to skim bed them for additional stability/accuracy.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

i believe that Aldon is right on both acounts. I heard that HS doesnt recomend bedding it, but I have seen them shoot much better after skim bedding and I believe that most smiths will recomend it.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

please explain, "skim bedding". I am assuming you re talking about taking a minimal amount from inside the forearm? I would also have to guess that just because you can slide a dollar bill between barrel and forearm that it may not be enough?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Might want to do some google searches and check out some youtube videos on the subject.

But you generally want the barrel to remain freefloating.

The skim of bedding material is overtop of the aluminum that supports the receiver.

It is common in mass production to have slight differences in tolerances.....you can have tight spots or spots where the contact puts undue pressure on the action in one location rather than a perfect fit.

Skim bedding it reduces chance of having these pressure points which can affect accuracy often more as the rifle warms in my past experience....Your mileage may vary....
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.