Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hs precision?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 AM

Hs precision?

Hi their, i have been looking for a gun to shoot up to and over a thousand yards. i have taken interest in the Hs precision 2000 LA in a 300 rum. I cant find any reviews on this gun, wondering if any of you may have some info they would be willing to provide. I am sure on the caliber, also should i be spending the $4000. on this gun or go custom? or just stick with a Savage or Tikka? thanks for your time!

Last edited by 300-shooter; 02-23-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hs precision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300-shooter View Post
Hi their, i have been looking for a gun to shoot up to and over a thousand yards. i have taken interest in the Hs precision 2000 LA in a 300 rum. I cant find any reviews on this gun, wondering if any of you may have some info they would be willing to provide. I am sure on the caliber, also should i be spending the $4000. on this gun or go custom? or just stick with a Savage or Tikka? thanks for your time!
An Accutrigger savage will shoot as good as any high dollar HS precision.
If it were my money I would would put get a savage and put it in a nice mannars stock and put the money I saved to what ever use i deemed fit.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 02-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

For $3000 you can get a real nice full custom rifle that will probably out shoot an HS. For $2000 or less, you could buy a new Howa, sell the stock and barrel and get the action blueprinted and trued, and put on a B&C stock and a good custom barrel that would probably out shoot an HS. If I had the funds, I would go that route instead of any factory rifle barrel.

-Mark
Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Bronze Member

Come on guys the HS guns are custom, I have had two of them and both are very nice. No stock gun can even come close to quality. Yes some stock guns shoot nice, but how about a moa of 1/2 to buyer.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNHOTROD View Post
Come on guys the HS guns are custom, I have had two of them and both are very nice. No stock gun can even come close to quality. Yes some stock guns shoot nice, but how about a moa of 1/2 to buyer.
I'm not saying that HS rifles aren't custom quality or cant shoot. What I am saying is, that for $3000 vs $4000, you can get an equally good, maybe better rifle, and..... you have a lot more to chose from, i.e., you can pick your action, barrel, bottom metal, trigger, stock, etc.

And if you did a build off a Howa or Rem action, you could cut the cost even further, up to another $1000, and still get a very nice, sub .5 MOA rifle that will shoot with any HS.

For the $$$$, I would go with a Howa build and be very happy.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

And FWIW, you can also get an out of the box Cooper that will shoot sub MOA for less than $2K. Just not to custom specs. They will do some custom specs for more $$$. No RUM cartridges though.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

I called HS when I was trying to decide who was going to build my custom rifle. I was less than impressed with the customer service that I received. I felt that I was inconveniencing them by calling and asking a few questions. I am not saying that this is the way they do business, it's just my experience. That's why I went with Jim See. Having HS build my gun would have been much more convenient, since they are here in town, but I wanted a great experience also. That's what I have with Jim. BTW, I spent less than $4k on my rifle including scope and case.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM