Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

HS Precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 AM

Re: HS Precision

Hs certainly make a fine firearm, know doubt, but as you are a greenhorn getting into the sport, maybe start with something like.... Say,.. Rossi or H&R handi rifle in say... 45/70 . Those big bullets won't be going too fast, but will be great if you need to keep the noise down ! Know what I mean ??? Should handle those big brown deer out to an effective range of lets say... 50 yards? What more do you need ? See you in the TAB ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

Cross, I have found that the load that HS sends withtheir guns is on the low side of velocity, All of my 2000P's have shot as advertised with loads at the Max or just a hair above loadings. their guns don't seem to like the middle of the range loadings, either low or top end work the best for me. I have never had a customer service issue that was not taken care of. As far as their guns being custom or not , if you buy strictly from their catalog it would be at best a semi- custom, but you can specify exactly what you want from barrel length to rate of twist but all of this comes at a price. they will only chamber SAMMI though. They are not the best but they do shoot real well.
nmhunter
nmhunter
Old 06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

Duovid,

I have an HS in 338RUM. The rifle shoots good and will generally meet the 1/2" guarantee they claim. The barrel contour is a little light and needs to be allowed to cool between shots to do it though, especially between the 2nd and 3rd shots. It is also pretty picky about what load it will perform well with, but that is true of many rifles.

I am pretty pleased overall with the rifle, but if I had it to do over again I would have went full custom. I have since had two custom rifles built by Kirby (Fiftydriver). An HS is going to cost you 2,500+. Kirby or one of the other smiths on this site can build you better rifle for that, and you can go top of the line for 3,000 to 3,500. Obviously you can spend much more on a custom, but that will get a true long range shooter. The other good thing about Kirby is that he will take the time to work through what want to build, then will work with you when you have it to make sure it performs.

Not to knock HS, but for the money.........go custom.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Hey Starchild,

Yeah Im hearing you, re the noise! - Perhaps those with more experience could lace up their boots and direct a 'greenhorn' in the 'correct' techniques! - Its a bit late to make noise once the trigger has been squeezed and the 'greenhorn' is left red faced if you know what I mean!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]