Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Howdy, first post, ready to get first build going!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Can't go wrong with either the 300RUM or 338RUM. For sheep, I'd use the 300RUM. For Elk I'd go with the 338RUM.

Given your stated usage, you'd be hard pressed to do better than what JE Custom recommended.

AJ

Yup, i'm listening...originally i thought abut 300wm but then thought about the 7mm of some sort with those vld's but the 300 rum might just be exactly what i should be looking at....what kind of velocity would a 26" barrel rum push 200 gr stuff?...
Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Yup, i'm listening...originally i thought abut 300wm but then thought about the 7mm of some sort with those vld's but the 300 rum might just be exactly what i should be looking at....what kind of velocity would a 26" barrel rum push 200 gr stuff?...

300RUM with 26" barrel will probably get you around 3100fps for 200gr projectiles.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

i agree with everything Roy said. recoil is not an issue with a 338 that has a good brake. i shoot mine prone, in a t-shirt and it doesn't bother me at all. you will have to shoot one to believe just how little it recoils. i'm also a believer the 338rum is hard to beat for a "grab the gun and go hunt anything" caliber. buy one in a magnum caliber and wear the barrel out. then put a good barrel on it. you'll know what you want by then.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 AM

great advice, always a step ahead of me(although thats pretty easy), was just thinking same thing...if i get a shooter great...if not...on with new barrel....will see what the smith wants to do also...i have a feeling it'll be getting a barrel, i get the impression he doesn't like messing around to 'see' lol, i'll call him tonight, thanks for input on the brakes...i hate recoil...i can tolerate a .270 tikka t3 and still call it enjoyable to shoot at range, prone, coyotes etc....a friend with a 300 wm braked says his gun hits lighter than my .270...sounds interesting as heck, never shot a braked gun before but know if i step up to the plate on caliber i've got to have a brake if i'm gonna shoot it well so thanks for confirming that!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 AM

what about optics and rings/bases for a rig like this? a friend has a leupy mark 4 4.5-14x50 illum mil-dot on his 300wm and loves it and leupy dual dovetail bases/rings?(never heard of them?)......but there are so many options out there not sure...i see they have a mark 4 like his but 40mm objective and no illumination that gets weight down to 16 ounces which looks okay...also don't want to sound gay but what about the huskemaw set up...it sounds like a good 'hunter' system but i don't like not hearing much experience on them....although the few posts i've seen seem to be good posts but just not enough to get me convinced to go down that road...i love the idea though....not afraid to spend money on good glass fyi
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Can't go wrong with either the 300RUM or 338RUM. For sheep, I'd use the 300RUM. For Elk I'd go with the 338RUM.

Given your stated usage, you'd be hard pressed to do better than what JE Custom recommended.

AJ
i agree 300rum,338rum,338edge
Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Would the factory xcr with a brake and some standard rem tune ups from the smith work...or is custom barrel the way to go?
Canuck

With the factory rifles you have no guarantees so its a gamble.

With the custom there is, but in most cases with some good
reloading you can find a load that is reasonably accurate for
the factory rifles at a redeuced cost.

I recomend buying a factory and trying it if your not sure about
buying a full blown custom and if you cant make it shoot you
can allways have a custom barrel screwed on later.

Factory barrels/rifles take longer to break in so dont give up untill
you have 60 to 100 rounds through the rifle.

And if you have a good smith blue print the factory gun it caint
hurt but there still is no guarantee that it will shoot.

J E CUSTOM