Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Howdy, first post, ready to get first build going!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Howdy, first post, ready to get first build going!

Hi Long Range Hunters!

I've been reading this fascinating forum for a little while now and loving it. I think i've finally made up my mind to jump into this game and have a gun built for me for big game hunting, and looking for opinions/thoughts on what i should aim for in a build?

I have access to a great builder who loves rem actions as a basis so i don't think i'll take anything else to him to start the build....from there i'm wide open and would love to hear your thoughts on calibers, stocks, optics, bases/rings?....i guess i'd like to hear what you'd build for me based on my requirements/hunting style...see below for that.

I'm getting good and hooked on backpack hunting so that would be requirement number 1....i need to pack this rifle around the mountains so weight/dimension is an issue....needs to be a sleek sporter build...or at least as sleek as possible?

2nd...i don't chase elk yet(sheep for now) but i figure at some point i'll get the bug for elk...so this rig should be strong enough for elk....and i'll practice and have the gun learned to 1000 yrds.

3rd...probably don't need to go too 'wildcat' with this rig, would like to stick to something pretty easy to find brass for etc. and not too hard on barrels? And not too hard on shoulder either...i plan on having a muzzle brake forsure.

That should do it for requirements. So how do you think my build should look then?

Crazy Canuck
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

One suggestion is to go with a WSM of some sort due to the wieght restriction. This would be plenty for sheep at range but probably a little short for elk at extreme range.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Canuck

Probably one of the best (All-around) cartriges for your requirements
would be the 300 RUM.

1= A wide range of hunting bullets (110gr to 250gr)
2= Very flat shooting with lighter bullets and less recoil.
3= very good at long ranges with heaver bullets.
4= Mild recoil with a brake.
5= Can be very accurate if properly loaded.
6= And with a #3 or#4 barrel contour with a composite stock
is very manageable for back packing.
7= Will fit on a standard mag (.534) boltface 700 Remingtion
long action with little or no modifications to the action and make
your gunsmith happy.
8= I would recomend a 1 in 10 twist barrel 26" long (minimum) for
all around performance.
9= Also I would recomend a #5 or 5.5 taper and a laminate stock if no
break is to be installed.
10= The 300 RUM is very popular and is not a wildcat so ammo and
reloading components should be available for some time.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Crazy,

Welcome aboard. It's a fun place to be.

Be careful from whom you take advise though. The worst person here to listen to would be me.:o But I bet you'll read this anyway.

Elk really like to live. Though they have been taken with just about every cartridge made. I'd say that accuracy over rides FPE for sheep but accuracy and FPE are equals for elk.

Thus I recommend a 338 RUM for both uses even when back packing. They can be made as light as practicable and with the proper brake, recoil can be kept to a minimum. Remember, the lighter the rifle the more effective the brake. Mine weights 10 pounds and I shoot it prone with no discomfort.

I had it at 12 pounds by adding lead to the stock then reduced it to 10 pounds by removing the lead. Recoil was better. My next modification will get it down to maybe 8+ pounds with no fear of recoill. I have a Holland QD brake on it. Defensive Edge makes a variety of breaks one of which could be selected for your specific need. Click here: Untitled Document

Bullet selection is good. It seems that most like the 225 Accubond and elk kills beyond 1K are common for that small group of shooters that are proficient out to that distance.

Personally I prefer the 300 SMK only because it shoots better than the rest in my rifle.

Recoil isn't a problem and barrel wear doesn't seem to be either. I've never heard of a 338 anything being shot out.

With one of the new nifty stocks weighting ounces and a light as practicable barrel and the proper scope and mount weight I'm betting you can end up with a backpack tolerable rifle. Remember, the bigger the bore the lighter the barrel.;)

This sounds like a great project. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:26 PM

ooooh, 338....wasn't thinking of that big but your a good salesman! this is exciting stuff to think about! i was eyeballing that 7mm with those 180 gr vld's...but 300 smk's sound like alot of fun lol

keep it coming guys...i love it

cc
Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Can't go wrong with either the 300RUM or 338RUM. For sheep, I'd use the 300RUM. For Elk I'd go with the 338RUM.

Given your stated usage, you'd be hard pressed to do better than what JE Custom recommended.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Would the factory xcr with a brake and some standard rem tune ups from the smith work...or is custom barrel the way to go?