Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Howa Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Howa Rifles

still stuck on choices in caliber i want a round that will reach out and touch something at 1000+

What Is Your Major Malfunction Numb Nuts.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

7mm STW will reach on out there.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

thinks mud 7mm sounds nice to me whats STW?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

7mm STW = 7mm Shooting Times Western (STW). It's a 7mm bullet in a necked-down 8mm Remington Magnum casing. Big, long, nasty sucker. Holds a good amount of powder.

You can get some HOT ballistics with it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Bronze Member

sounds like it would have a short barrel life

Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead_Farmer View Post
sounds like it would have a short barrel life
It does. My suggestion would be to buy the Howa barreled action in a 300WM or 7RM. Both calibers will get you there for deer size game and even Elk in the right situation. If the plan is to shoot shorter ranges for hunting and longer ranges for target, then the 243, 6.5x55 (my suggestion), and .308 will do the trick.

My dad has a semi-custom Howa in 25-06. It shoots bug holes at 100yds. Never got a chance to stretch it out at the time I used it. I was to young to understand its capabilities. It has a 22" light contour factory barrel, in a bedded walnut aftermarket stock.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead_Farmer View Post
what savages can you turn into a .338 edge?

You can use a standard long action for the edge. Sinarms is developing a really good round that will match Edge performance and fit a standard action.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!