Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is this how you install your deer stands?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2003, 07:30 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Is this how you install your deer stands?

Matt

I have put camo die-cut fabric on the sides and no roof. I have a covered and enclosed slightly shorter stand further down in the crop field for really nasty weather. I think, though, I will figure out a way to mount a big golf umbrella on this one if the weather forecast is bad.

Wow, I can just imagine how tough it was to get your stand up without a machine. Maybe in the winter when the ground is frozen you could get a machine out there.

Don

I thought I was the only one in the world smart enough to figure out how to use a machine to set up a stand like yours and mine. Now I feel less special. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-18-2003, 06:15 AM
Silver Member

Len it might be possible to get a machine out there in Winter. But I still remember the last wheeled vehicle that was bigger than a 4-wheeler that I took out in the Marsh during the winter (My old Willy's jeep with a Chevy V-8 and mud tires). Took me 300 feet of rope, chain, cable and a D4 Caterpiller tractor to get it out [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Let just say the marsh was not totally frozen yet [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Matt
Old 11-18-2003, 02:43 PM

Len,

You will always be "special" to all of us. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Not sure what you paid for that rig but the local tree trimming service charged $30 an hour and I thought that was very resonable.

We installed the bases on one day and a week later had them slide the tops over the bases. The week allowed the concrete to set up. The tops are carraige bolted to the bases. We put 1 1/2" angle iron vertically up the sides of the smaller ones for added strength. Last week we had winds measured to 78 MPH and they are still standing. I guess they aren't going to blow over anytime soon. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Don