Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How to start an APS gun build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

How to start an APS gun build

I am going to commit to a long range build and would like Kirby Allen to build it since he is in the state. My question is, how do I contact him? I can't seem to find much contact info for him.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How to start an APS gun build

I'm sure he'll reply. But, He's fiftydriver on here. Kirby responds quickly to email (address in his signature). I'm sure a pm would work too. I never got him to answer the phone.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Bronze Member

Kirby's e-mail:
kballen@3rivers.net

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Gold Member

Email work best with him. he built my rifle two years ago and i still have never spoke to him over the phone all way email. he's a great guy to do business with just have to use email. what are you building?????????????
Old 12-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
Email work best with him. he built my rifle two years ago and i still have never spoke to him over the phone all way email. he's a great guy to do business with just have to use email. what are you building?????????????
That's why I am trying to get a hold of him before I decide on something. It will be a 338 cal but I would like to know the pros and cons of his AM vs his AX. All that I am aware of is that his AM uses the 408 CheyTac parent case and his AX uses the Lapua parent case so the AM should outperform the AX but for how much more $$$ etc?

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

How heavy of a rifle do you have in mind? If you haven't seen this thread, it might give you more info on the different loads/rifles.

Post #2.
Allen Mags

Good luck with your build! It's a fun process getting everything figured out, then the wait begins.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
That's why I am trying to get a hold of him before I decide on something. It will be a 338 cal but I would like to know the pros and cons of his AM vs his AX. All that I am aware of is that his AM uses the 408 CheyTac parent case and his AX uses the Lapua parent case so the AM should outperform the AX but for how much more $$$ etc?

Thanks for the info.
Before going with the 338 ax i would give some real hard looking at 338edge same perfomance but a hell of a lot ezer to load for. If your just getting into this stuff the edge is the way to go. but if you have reloaded for some time and don't mind spending the money and time to reload thin i would be looking at the big dog of the 338's the 338AM. i just can't see doing all of the extra work on a 338ax when the edge is right there with it. the only thing about the 338ax is the brass will more than likely last longer but thin again you pay for it to. so it's kind you to the person having to spend the money and do the reloading. Any of the three will do you fine for just about any thing out to 1000 but if you want the top dog the 338AM or the 375AM are the only way to look. i will be ordering my 375AM real soon. for as money goes the edge will be the cheapest to load for. i think i was told that the 338AM case that kirby has where 300.00 for 100 cases