Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How to sight-in a LR rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2003, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How to sight-in a LR rifle

Ian,

Ever try white shoe polish or anything else at cold temps to cover bullet marks? I usually have to use 3-4 coats to get it competely white again with the cold weather. The 3-5 minute wait between coats so it doesn't just run off is the real issue. I wondered if shoe polish or something might get the job done real quick in one coat.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Brent,
Have only used cans of white spray paint, one thing I have learned is that the buck-a can stuff is pretty near useless. Found a deal at walmart a while back (99 cents a can), stuff is like water. Shows you that you get what you pay for.
We have considered buying a pail of cheap white paint from HomeDepot or somewhere similar and using a roler but the spraycans are just easier to use. Would have to store a paint bucket and roler, easier to throw the cans into a bag.
One day I took some fairly expensive white spray paint that my wife bought for some project and it is way better than the cheap stuff, but what the hell we are just shooting steel plates.
Haven't come up with a cheap alternative to white or orange spray paint so far.
That is a very nice looking target stand, we have an entirely different method that I will try to get some pictures of and send to you. Would work well for you so you could put up more than one target. We use pieces of two by fours as legs in cheap metal saw-horse clamps, put a five foot piece of 2x4 as the cross-piece (it is clamped in the jaws of the saw-horse) and hang our steel on the cross-piece using "S" hooks. Just drill some 1/4 inch holes in the corner of the target plate, stick in an S hook and hang it by pieces of cheap chain or even rope. Gets shot to hell but doesn't cost anything, Have to watch handling the 2x4's as they get a lot of shrapnell, like razor blades some of it, but this holder only costs a few bucks and is easy to setup.
Also use the swing-sets as they breakdown nicely for travel. You are very fortunate to have a location where you can leave your target out.
Sounds like you are getting your dad hooked on this long stuff.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the info. With a swarovski 3X12 30mm in a 340 wby what is the range of the scope? Can such a scope be ordered with greater adjustment range? I'm using talley bases. A earlier thread talkede obout tappered bases? dose tally make these? Thanks John
Old 01-29-2003, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Ian, now that you mention it the can Russell bought this last time was kind of generic looking, he probably paid a buck for it too. The stuff I had been using this summer was 3.50 a can at Napa and dryed quick enough using laquer or enamel either one. You are right, it was like water. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I'll go try the good stuff again and see how it does in the cold. I'll give the orange a try too, the white works great on a darker bank but with the snow yesterday in another location had us straining hard with the white snow background.

I used the 1/2" pipe so I could unscrew it in 30" lengths to put in the box of my Polaris 6x6 if I went up river to shoot somewhere. With everything just hand tightened it sets up and breaks down in a minute or so. If you notice, I put hinges on my plywood backer so it folds up for the 6x6 too. I put hinges on front and back and just use removable pins on the oposite side at the nonremovable ones to keep it standing up solid. You have to alternate on the hinges to gt it to fold though. The nice thing about this is I can add two foot sections if needed to make it as high as I need, 10-16 feet maybe, and it all folds up and back down. Easier to get it around in the truck too. I can make the center bar twice or three times as wide with extra pieces and couplers to hang more plates too, I am about ready to, two people shooting at once and your running back and forth with paint quite a bit.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 01-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

John,
I looked at the Swarovski website and appears that their only scope with turrets is a 6-24 varminter. Could not determine what the elevation available is for the 3-12, I use the TDS reticle in mine and once it is zeroed at 100 it is good to 5 or 600 depending on the caliber. Talley's aren't sloped as far as I know, they are great mounts but do not compete with the real heavyweights like Badgers or MK4's.
I expect that you will not have any problem getting out to 600+ with that scope, just depends on how much elevation is left in it after you have zeroed at 100.
Brent, I will get a digital image of our wood target hanging set-up, you really should consider it also as it is very cheap and simpler than your pipe set-up. The pipes look great but the 2x4's are lighter and I would suggest much easier to work with. Only takes four 4' 2x4's for the legs, a 5 or 6 footer for the crosspiece and one pair of saw-horse hinges that cost about $4.00. I have about a dozen of them now, they are very handy for both steel and stapling cardboard targets on.