Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How to sight-in a LR rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2003, 04:38 PM

How to sight-in a LR rifle

I am having a 340 WBY built to get a very accurate gun. I went with the 340 so I could have 2000+ft/lb at 600 yd. I am placing a swaravski 3X12 scope on it. I would like to use the rifle to it's maximum capability Ibut less than 1000yd. How do I best sight in the rifle. If Sight in for say 400 yd and place target turrets on it Is it easy to? adjust the turret to 500, 600, 700, 800 etc then back to 400 accurately? Do target turrets have a bottom where you sight in then adjust upwards from there? Are ther any Long distance ranges in Colorado to sight in >500yd? Basically I want to be able to pull up the gun and shoot at <400yd but if I range the elk, deer etc at 683yd Id like to be confident in the shot and not just hold over. Not precise enough for me, I don't want to wound a animal. Any and all sugestion welcom. Thanks John
Old 01-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How to sight-in a LR rifle

Im new to the board, but not new to long range shooting. The way we do it is to zero at 100 yards, and set the turrets to (O). Then move out to 200 and dial the elevation turret to where it is hitting dead on. Make a chart with each respective setting and continue out as far as you would like to shoot. Using this method, we are always able to return to zero at any yardage we desire, so if you wanted a 400 yard zero, you could simply dial it in on your turrets. This might not be the best way, but it is simple and it works for us!
Old 01-26-2003, 07:30 PM

I agree with Huntaholic except I Zero at 200 yards. With ANY load I'm never higher than 2.1" inside of 200 so there I see no reason to zero at 100.

Just my personal preference.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Here is an answer to part of you question http://www.crci.org/index.htm
I have not been there (yet), but let me know if you make it and what you think.

My post begging for help soon to come on the subject of shooting out to 800 yards effectivly.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

ELK-A,
You will probably find that staying on large sheets of cardboard for test groups works OK out to 600 but after that you would be better off shooting at large steel plates spray-painted white so that you can see your bullet impacts through your spotting scope. Not many spotters will enable picking up bullet holes past 4-500 yards, maybe six in the right light.
We use large 2' by 4' plates that are 1/2" thick, hanging from old swing-sets or wooden saw-horses. Prefer to have four feet width because of wind challenges. We can see bullet impacts out at 1000 yards when the plates are painted white.
Suggest you plan on obtaining a set of "come-ups" - a simple list of elevation settings required to hit point of aim out to the longest distance that you can shoot lethal-sized groups to. We start at 100 yards and move out in 100 yard increments to four hundred, then shoot in fifty yard increments. We get actual drop info and record both the actual scope setting and increase from the previous 100 yard setting. In other words our chart will show that I need 15.0 minutes for a 700 zero with my .300 Win. and that is 1.75 minutes up from the 650 yard zero.

Many rifles shoot flat enough out to 300 that hits are assured if we place the crosshair on the critter's upper chest. Many guys will check their dropchart, note that they need three and one half minutes (or whatever) for their 300 yard zero, put it on and add come-ups from there if the critter is farther out.
I only hunt with my .308's to 650-700 max so have dropcharts that go 100, 200, 300, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600 650 and 700. Found out that we need fifty yard increments after four hundred, so might as well shoot them when you are getting your come-ups.
Many guys rely on the ballistic tables created by computer programs, and they are working very well. I believe that most guys prefer to shoot their drops, unless they are shooting at extreme range which makes actually getting drops pretty difficult.
Unfortunately other factors such as barrometric pressure and temperature can start influencing long shots so the fellows keep meticulous notes on shooting conditions on a continous basis for reference.
Not sure which Swarovski scope you plan on, not many have actual target turrets, particularly in MOA. Tend to be metric. That is why most guys here go with Leupolds, Nightforce, Burris, Bushnell etc. with 1/4 minute adjustments and lots of latitude in the turrets.
Good luck, you will have a lot of fun with your LR rig.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:33 PM

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-28-2003, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

elk-addict,

I do about the same thing as Ian. He turned me on to the swing set and steel plates last year and I have been hooked ever since. It is probably the best instant feedback you can get. The hits can easily be heard past 1000 yards with your ears on too, takes about 3 or 4 seconds but you'll hear it!
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
We built a new stand to lean a plywood backer and hang plates up on out of 1/2" threaded pipe and T's. Cost me about 50 bucks for the fittings and precut and threaded stuff at the store.

We lean the plywood back away from the plate and tie it on with wire to the top bar to see hits that miss.

A computer drop chart will get you close if not keep you right on until you get your actual shot data recorded. If we change any component of our ammo we go back to 100 yards and get a good zero, rezero scope dials and then modify the chart if it ends up being off. Notes on what BC and velocity at what temp, BP and altitude gave us a comparable chart are noted for each load as well. Notes on aditional windage needed are made when bullets start moving to one side in no wind situations at long range.

Have fun. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]