Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

how often "honestly" do most here shoot past 500 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

Re: how often "honestly" do most here shoot past 500 yards

I typically try to get out at least once a week, year round, and bang steel, rocks, milk jugs, or coyotes from 500-1150 yards. Sight in and load development is usually done on paper at 200 yards. Hunting season is a bit different since I don't usually get out target shooting much when big game is on the menu.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
My private range I shoot to a mile on steel. Then from my back door I have rocks to 2500 plus with some painted circles on some. Plus I have many good places to go to shoot rocks to as far as one would want. As for how often I shoot past 500 it is at least once a week. Under 500 I only do load work up at 300 and zero at 100 and 200. If you are up this way give me a shout. We can do a little shooting.

Jeff
broz just read your post on the shoot in townsend was wondering if there are anymore this year i usually shoot the potomac matches my buddies and I took 1st 2nd and 3rd last month and would love to come out and shoot. I am not sure that potomac will have an event this month so that may work out.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by window licker View Post
broz just read your post on the shoot in townsend was wondering if there are anymore this year i usually shoot the potomac matches my buddies and I took 1st 2nd and 3rd last month and would love to come out and shoot. I am not sure that potomac will have an event this month so that may work out.

Answered your PM and will post here too. Our shoots are not competiion shoots. No pressuer just fun. We have two scheduled left but the fire hazards are high and we may get cancelled. I will post info in the thread in the competition forum.

Would love to have you guys come up. We have a great group of guys that come shoot. I think you would enjoy it.

Jeff
Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Kinda strange, but most all of my shooting every time I go out these days is from 4-700 yds. Unless I go with a buddy with a good rangefinder, well stretch it out farther. My Leupy only reaches out to 700 ish reliably. I need a new rangefinder.

Kinda weird to read what I typed. As of about 3 years ago I never thought that it would be possible for me to be able to shoot accurately past where my rangefinder would accurately reach.

That makes me feel pretty good

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

I try to get out at least once a week and shoot out to at least 1435, then we try to hit an area that we can shoot as far as GPS will let us range. I never go to the range or out shooting without pushing the range I'm shooting for the conditions, some days that's closer than others

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 AM
SPONSOR

Once a load is developed I usually start at 500 yards.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Kinda strange, but most all of my shooting every time I go out these days is from 4-700 yds. Unless I go with a buddy with a good rangefinder, well stretch it out farther. My Leupy only reaches out to 700 ish reliably. I need a new rangefinder.

Kinda weird to read what I typed. As of about 3 years ago I never thought that it would be possible for me to be able to shoot accurately past where my rangefinder would accurately reach.

That makes me feel pretty good
Nice sounds like you have an excuse to get a new rangefinder, I commuted short term financial suicide and bought a pair of Leica geovids for coyote hunting. The price was a bit unsettling but I would not be without them again. they are wonderful consistent ranging to 1k and out past twelve hundred when its in a good mood, worth every penny imo