Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How often do you clean your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: How often do you clean your rifle?

Thank's Fellas, Wildrose I know just what your talking about as I hunt about the same till at least the end of Feb then about have that much through March. Just this week end I went through 8 shots and killed 1 coyote and 4 hogs Missed one yote and 2 more on a hog. I guess I'll just clean as I can. Thank's, Brad
Old 12-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post

Barrels will corrode if left dirty and I do believe cleaning religiously (not everyday, dont clean it if it isnt dirty) but I am also not a target shooter. As a hunter, I clean after every hunt.. and when I clean.. I CLEAN!
Thats strange..??? since everything used in modern ammo is supposed to be NON-corrosive..???
Old 12-20-2011, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
I agree with JE.. I never understood how cleaning a barrel can be more abrasive or more damaging than a bullet whistling down the barrel at over 3000fps...You hear all these guys say that cleaning is more damaging than actual shooting?!

I like the idea of that wipe out stuff because its easy, not because i think its less damaging. That's like the whole "barrel break in" crap... I probably just kicked over a bee's nest..but I just don't believe in it because there is no evidence or facts that proves that barrel break in is effective...

Barrels will corrode if left dirty and I do believe cleaning religiously (not everyday, dont clean it if it isnt dirty) but I am also not a target shooter. As a hunter, I clean after every hunt.. and when I clean.. I CLEAN!
With the advent of modern powders and primers corrosion is not an issue unless you are using Moly Coated Bullets or allowing moisture to remain in the barrel.

I don't shoot moly coated bullets and I always keep a little oil or grease in the barrel for that reason.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Once I have my optimum load that performs with a fouled barrel/ cold bore shot, I will strive get at least 20 shots through the rifle before I see any degradation of accuracy/POI, or a change in velocity. So far I have been successful achieving this with my long range rigs. If the rifle gets subjected to extreme weather where I think the barrel may have gotten wet or I reach the maximum shot number while hunting(this is rare), I'll clean it and re-foul the barrel. I have been lucky in that I usually exceed 20 rounds before I observe any change. This system works for me.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt