Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How often do you clean your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

How often do you clean your rifle?

In the past I would clean my rifle once a year (immediatly after hunting season) which normaly consisited of 30 -50 rounds. Then come the next hunting season simply take it hunting and clean agin at the end wich is normaly in March for me. I have done this for years and to my knowledge there were no adverse side effects of leaving the barrel dirty for 6 months or so at a time.

Well I now have a gun that was rebuilt for long range shooting and it is a tack driver and I want to ensure it stay's this way and was wondering if my cleaning prctices are sufficient or maybe I need to kick it up a notch? What say yal? Thank's, Brad
Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How often do you clean your rifle?

In my experience, you can do more damage to a bore/crown by cleaning it than by shooting it.

I don't clean my rifles very often, I wipe them down any time they've been out in the weather/rain/dust etc. I clean them at the end of a hunt.

In my experience, it takes a few rounds to get them fouled correctly to REALLY settle down, I don't want to waste the barrel on fouling shots

When I do clean one of my barrels, I REALLY clean it.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

When I was breaking this new barrel in I used a brush with k12 solvent and patch at the range then after my last shots of the day brought it home and used wipe out(really like this stuff) since then I have gone to the rage a few times shooting 20-30 rounds to sight in my new Nightforce scope and practice and just used wipe out overnight when I got home. Now I'm in hunting mode and have probaly shot 15 bullets with no cleaning thus far and still hitting what I'm aiming at. What do yal think? Brad
Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Pretty much what AJ said.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 PM

I dont clean mine after every time i go shooting. I always wipe the barrel down and pull the bolt out and clean it. Unless Im sighting it in or trying a new round I loaded than I swab the barrel every shot.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

I recently had this discussion with one of this forums Highly respected gun builder and shooter. He told me to spend all my time shooting and don't worry about cleaning until I notice my accuracy going to hell. When my accuracy goes south, then clean my barrel. This is for good custom barrels not factory barrels as they are a whole different animal and often require something different.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

With the advent of stainless barrels cleaning is not so much of a must like the chrome Molly
barrels, But I clean more often than some because i like the consistency of a clean cold bore.

I normally clean good just before hunting season and oil the bore, just before a hunt I will fire
one shot,pull a bore snake through the bore to remove most of the powder residue and I am
ready to hunt.

After a few weeks and good weather I will clean before going hunting again.

I feel that the carbon left in the bore is more abrasive durring firing than the brushing so I keep
a clean barrel all of the time with no more than 3 or 4 shots through it at the worst.

I have yet to shoot out a barrel using this process.

PS: Just because the barrel is stainless does not mean it will not corrode left dirty.

Just my way of maintaining the consistant accuracy.

J E CUSTOM