Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How often do you check your zero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 PM

Re: How often do you check your zero

When I Groundhog hunt! If I can hit the pig, it's on! Have not changed scopes, loads for year's. Had my Deer rifle out in May and it was on at 4 to 430 yds. Will use it again when the Corn and Soybeans come down. If one field is mowed soon, aahh then the 5-735 yds. open up. Been waiting!!!

hogginking
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Every time I go hunting I fire at least one cold bore round at a distant target, if I'm of then I check up closer at the range if I'm on then I'm GTG. I go through about a 100 rounds just just hunting season but it keeps me sharp!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Most days I am horse back so I check my zero almost every night at my 100 yard range with a flash light on the target! After a long day of kicking my rifle all day a lot of time she will be off, but usually not much. My rifle that rides on the pack horse gets checked at least once a week at home.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. This whole ordeal has really opened my eyes to the fact that I need to check my zero more often! Definitely after a major event like horse back riding or backpacking has taken place! Just out of curiosity what type of scopes are you guys/gals useing. Just wondering if this hapens most with a certain brand of scope, or if it is the same across the board.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

I can't afford to use 1 specific brand...I wish I could. Usually the guys who use 1 specific high-end brand make ALOT more money than I do, or they get kick-backs and get them for free, or extreme discount that us normal folks don't get.

I would be happy with just 1 Nightforce 5.5-22x56 HS ZS MOAR and swap it amongst my hunting rifles, but I need to sell some other stuff first...Which I will definitely be doing.

I am also a huge Zeiss fan. My most often used hunting rifles have Zeiss scopes on them. For the money, I really don't think they can be beat. They are incredibly clear and the lens coating is phenomenal. The clicks are highly repeatable and solid. 99% of the time they stay dead-on and I never have to touch them, unless I change up my load or swap the scope onto a different rifle, which I seem to be doing alot lately, for some reason...And I really don't have an answer as to why.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Pretty much ditto for me as per Bigngreen. I shoot often and check zero when I do.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Bronze Member

In the Western Montana mountains, rifles can get banged around a lot due to steep terrain and snow. My mountain rifle is a lightweight stainless Ruger bolt 30-06 with a Leupold VX3. With Ruger steel rings on their machined receiver, I have never in 9 years and well over a thousand hours of hunting on foot had this rifle lose it's zero in spite of my having slipped and dropped it hard several times. I check Zero once a year anyway. This rifle is not used for shots over 300 yards.

Although their barrels tend to be better than Rugers, Savage and Remington bolt guns utilize the puny machine screws to attach bases for scope mounting and If I was using one of them I would make sure my bases and rings are steel, not aluminum and check the Zero anytime I think the scope might have been bumped hard.