Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How often do you check your zero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Bronze Member

How often do you check your zero

I was out practicing with my rifle setup the other day, and I was continuously shooting high and to the left! This had me puzzled so I went to the range to confirm my zero and wouldn't u know it I was high and to the left! Not by much just a couple clicks both ways, but still off! My question is how often do you all check your zero? Has this ever happened to any of you! If so what did u find was the problem?
My optic setup is as follows:
Nightforce scope
Weaver one piece base
Burris z-rings
Old 09-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How often do you check your zero

How often do I check my zero......Every time I shoot. LOL

If you are referring to strictly hunting rifles, that don't leave the safe much, other than to go to the woods, I don't own any of those...All my rifles get shot all the time. However, before I started handloading, and developting loads, they did alot of sitting around in the safe. And in that case, I took them out right before hunting season and checked them every year so I knew they were accurate. If the scope got bumped a little hard, I would take it and check zero again.

With your problem it could be something loose. I'd retorque everything to be on the safe-side.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

For me: whenever I change bullet or powder lots, traveling, or if I feel a bump has occured. I had a bump last year and my scope was way off. I rezero'd and it was been shooting well since.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks to both of u for ur help! I will run through my scope, rings, and bases and re-torque them. I guess I'm just trying to find out if any of u guys check ur rifles zero at some sort of intervals! Like every so many rounds or after cleaning? Just curious! Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I will check it at the start of every season, and after every backpack trip.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Prior to every significant hunting venture, whenever the rifle scope setup takes a significant bump. I try to check it prior to every back pack-in hunt. The most common reason I've missed or experienced poor hits on game animals is because my riflescopes have been knocked off zero. Ticks me off every time it's happened. And I baby my rifle/scope as much as possible. Still - it happens.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Everytime I squeeze the trigger I critique the shoot. I only make adjustments on a shot barrel and a cold barrel. Wood conventional stocks will change POI much more often. Funny thing the Ruger number 1 changes year to year but I have 3 Krighoff drillings that have never changed POI? not to hijack the thread but I do not under stand that. Does any one else?