Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

how much wind is too much??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

how much wind is too much??

Hey guys, just wondering what your upper limit of wind is for shooting/hunting accurately? is 25mph wind too much to dope for?? 30mph??
New to long range hunting and shooting as was curious to what the experienced shooters set for their limits....obviously there is the ethical consideration of being certain of shot placement without wounding an animal. I'm not talking about taking haphazard shots, but what is the most amount of wind that you would feel comfortable making an accurate shot??

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: how much wind is too much??

Completely depends on a number of factors.

1) Is the wind consistent?
2) What is the distance?
3) Size of kill zone? (elk or antelope?)
4) Cartridge I'm using.

For example, shooting a 338 Allen Mag at 600yds in a 30mph crosswind, the bullet only moves 4.5moa or about 2 feet. If It was a consistent wind, I'd have no problem making the shot.

However, even at 200yds on a small target, if the wind is totally inconsistent, it can be a much tougher decision (especially with a cartridge that is not as ballistically strong).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

To me, it's more a question of exactly what the wind is doing and how far we wish to shoot.

Many people equate wind speed with difficulty, but a steady and coherent 20 mph wind may not be as tough to shoot as a 3-5 mph breeze that often switches speed and direction. Some of the toughest shooting is when the wind doesn't "seem" to be doing that much.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

i see...thanks for the input guys, I can see how varying winds can complicate the decision making process....