Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How much wind, is to much?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Re: How much wind, is to much?

Sorry, but if you divide 360/60 you get six...not sixty!!!

Also the wind correction from a 9 oclock wind vs a 7 oclock wind is 50 %. 300 grain at 2800 fps, 20 mph wind, at 1k.....9:00 wind = 8.8 min.... 7 oclack wind = 4.4 min....50 % A 6:30 wind needs 3.7 moa, or 42% of full value.

Unless My Infinity program is off!! When I find my phone I will double check it on my Shooter program.

Numbers confermed on my Shooter program.

Last edited by 4xforfun; 04-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Sorry, but if you divide 360/60 you get six...not sixty!!!
That is why one minute=6 degrees. 5 mins=30 and 15 mins (3:00) =full value 90 deg of wind.

Quote:
Also the wind correction from a 9 oclock wind vs a 7 oclock wind is 50 %. 300 grain at 2800 fps, 20 mph wind, at 1k.....9:00 wind = 8.8 min.... 7 oclack wind = 4.4 min....50 % A 6:30 wind needs 3.7 moa, or 42% of full value.
7:00 wind equals 1/3 value tail wind left to right.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
If you can't read the wind well enough to detect a shift from 6:39-6:00 and then to 5:30 etc you aren't going to hit anything beyond 600yds anyhow.

The quick way to read wind accurately is to use essentially a clock face.

The 12:00hr clock represents how many minutes? One full rotation of the minute hand = 60 mins correct?

How many degrees are in a circle? 360 right?

Divide 360/60 and what do you get?

6 deg0 correct?

So using the clock face how many degrees does 5 minutes of wind equate to?

Plug that 30degrees into your shooting solution and pull the trigger.

I make it even simpler figuring a 30 degree wind as 1/3 of the full value wind correction and pull the trigger.

At best all wind corrections in the field are going to be nothing but the best approximation you can come up with because as I explained wind will rarely be consistent over the full flight of the bullet especially if you are dealing with anything other than perfectly flat terrain.

Shoot, learn, repeat. Shoot, learn, repeat.

The best advice I ever got on long range shooting came from the best natural shot I have ever known, "Don't be afraid to miss, until you've missed a lot you won't learn how to make the critical shots when the time comes".

Once you have done a lot of practicing you will "feel it" when the shot is right and know it when it's not.

If the wind is shifting then you are going to have to use all of your down range cues to time the shot for when the wind is where you need it to be for the corrections you have figured and set up for.

Shooting is at least as much of an art as it is a science and it just takes a lot of time and practice to make it as easy as some people make it sound.
Corrected.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Gold Member

You are saying that a 7:00 wind needs 1/3 value (33%)....or 2.91 MOA in the above situation.. Both of my balistics programs say 1/2 value (50%)....or 4.4 moa for a 7:00 wind ....

Full value being 8.8 MOA That is a BIG difference.

Who is right?

Again......

Bullit.....300 gr Berger Hybrid....2800 FPS

20 mph wind @1000 yards.

Full value...8.8 MOA...9:00 wind according to both my Sierra I6 and Shooter programs.

I am just trying to figure out if I am getting a garbage in, garbage out situation with my programs.

Thanks,

Tod
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
You are saying that a 7:00 wind needs 1/3 value (33%)....or 2.91 MOA in the above situation.. Both of my balistics programs say 1/2 value (50%)....or 4.4 moa for a 7:00 wind ....

Full value being 8.8 MOA That is a BIG difference.

Who is right?

Again......

Bullit.....300 gr Berger Hybrid....2800 FPS

20 mph wind @1000 yards.

Full value...8.8 MOA...9:00 wind according to both my Sierra I6 and Shooter programs.

I am just trying to figure out if I am getting a garbage in, garbage out situation with my programs.

Thanks,

Tod
What do they give you for a 7:30 wind? I would figure that a a half value wind since it's right at 45 deg?

I suspect some of the variation is coming from your programs also figuring in spin drift etc.

My ballistics calculator is still a pencil. I use a couple of online calculators for rough data but that's it.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Another little lesson in wind yesterday. Wind here has been horrible the past few days. In the morning I worked up some loads for the 6.5 in a semi protected area and finally got a .25MOA group at 200. Ran out of time to take Ami and mom for a four wheeler so called that group and load good.

Later the wind was blowing up to 20 in the valleys and gusty from 8-15. Found a decent spot on a hill, just over the break, and ranged a rock at 1200. Wind was 8 right to left and blowing away at 45 (from my back to the left). The rock was in a valley below us at -4 degrees. Shooter says 1.6 moa right. First round missed the rock and I noticed the dusty going to the right. Well crap. Then the wind cycled and blew straight away, cycled again and blew hard left. Sent another round with half the MOA, hit right side of rock about 15" off center. Impact dusty went right again. Oh geez louise. Switched tactics 1 MOA left, instead of right, 3 shots killed the rock. Put Ami on it, 1 shot right, next shot dead rock.

Stupid wind. I am learning though. I really did not think the wind would change down there that much if at all. We went to the rock the wind was blowing left to right and slighty away.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Gold Member

My I6 program does not figure spin drift...I checked and the numbers are the same for both LH and RH winds. I shut that off, along with the coriolls function on my Shooter program when I did the calcs, so spin drift and coriolls, although real, are not figured into these numbers. Obviously They would be in a real shooting situation.

I checked the 7:30 wind as you asked....7.2 moa, or 82% of a full value 9:00 wind.

I aways used 75% as a "rule of thumb" for the 45 degree (7:30) wind before I had any apps that I could use in the field.

They sure have changed how I think about the wind!!!