Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How much Energy to kill a Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How much Energy to kill a Deer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Very little "thermal" energy is transferred in the impact of a bullet on flesh and bone. Most of the enrgy is transferred in the deforming of the bullet and producing permenant and temporary wound channel.

Hope you're having a good argumentative day.
You are incorrect according to Dr. Martin Fackler President of The International Wound Ballistics Assc. and Duncan MacPhearson who has the only 100% accurate wound trauma ballistic model

Last edited by jwp475; 11-27-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Excuse me JWP, but where does the article you posted conradict anything I said????

Can you please provide me with data to back up your claim that most energy from bullet impact is transformed into "thermal energy" and when you've answered that, then please explain what forces cause bullet deformation and temporary and permenat wound channels?

Thanks...
Old 11-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Buy the book as I id and read it and you will find it, are yo can surf the Physics web sights and you will find wht you seek

Old 11-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

JWP, let me help you out with an illustrative object lesson...

Lets take, say a 300 g SMK fired out of your 338 Lapua (a fine cartridge )

OK... Said bullet is traveling downrange toward a 1" steel plate targert 50 yds from muzzle. The bullet arrives at said targert with a velocity of 2690 fps and and energy of 4820 ftlbs. A fraction of a second later, said bullet is lying on terra firma with zero velocity and zero energy. Does the steel plate target show any signs of significant temp change? Is there any sign of scorched or melted metal? Just what happened to all that energy???? Clue.... look at the shape of the bullet lying on terra firma and the crater in the steel plate. I'm guessing that's where the energy went to....
Old 11-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Buy the book as I id and read it and you will find it, are yo can surf the Physics web sights and you will find wht you seek

Nahhh.... I'm not buying the book and not accepting your BS. You stated that I was wrong according to blankety blank and posted two pages from some book that basically said nothing. I have reasearched the net and the info and data, some of which i posted for you in the other thread back up what I say, or more correctly, that's where I get my info, that and a basic understanding of physics.

YOU made a statement.... YOU back it up... else it is BS....
Old 11-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post

Are you texting us? Is this NONYA under a different screen name????

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 11-27-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

I go by nothing less than 1400fps and i shoot berger bullets, its worked good for me.