Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How much difference can a trigger make?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How much difference can a trigger make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post
I bought a used CZ 204 last month from a guy on gunbrokers. It has a custom barrel and Basiz trigger on it... which is set at 8 oz. I took it and my two savages, with accutriggers to KS for coyotes. I started out with the savages and shot a few and missed a few... blaming it on the triggers, because of aiming hard at 300 yd dogs that were facing me, while trying to pull through on those triggers. Thought I'd try out the CZ... missed the first dog because I forgot about the hair trigger... touched it before getting onto target.... BUT... after that...... I NEVER MISSED ANOTHER DOG... even 300 yd facing dogs.
It wasn't the rifle, nor the caliber that made a difference in my accuracy... IT WAS THE LIGHT TRIGGER.

Those accutriggers are going in the trash... or ebay. I ended up buying two ShootersSupply.com triggers for these savages .... two to my door for 187.50... can't beat that price... and they adjust to 12 oz to 2lbs.
Honestly I can't imagine why anyone would want to change from the original factory single set trigger on those models. That is the best trigger I've ever fingered period once you get them broken in and honed.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Not off base at all. For killing game even 1.5-2moa is adequate to 500yds, the average shooter isn't going to even notice the difference the trigger makes at short ranges because they don't need to do any better.

In the long range game where we are fighting to keep 1moa or better out to 1,000yds, the trigger can easily make a .5moa difference or more which is the difference between a clean kill, a clean miss or a half day or more of tracking.
I buy that rational completely. Thanks. At an early age I was taught a shooting style of mentally connecting a ramp in visual intensity on the crosshair or bead (not the target) with the increasing pressure to break the trigger. In time this happens almost subconsciously and quickly. As long as the trigger breaks clean, and overtravel is properly adjusted, I can hold sub .5 MOA with triggers under 3.5#. If I use a trigger that is set too much under 2# my brain doesn't seem to connect the two functions. I can still shoot well with a light trigger but it actually takes me more time and concentration. I guess after 40 years, old habits are hard to break.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

I iknow what you are saying about breaking old habits. That is one reason I have never been a huge fan of a 2 stage trigger myself. I just can't seem to get the feeling of taking the slack out before the shot. It just seems to me it is one more thing to think about. I want to just put my finger on the trigger and shoot.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Anyone had any experience on a set trigger. That concept interests me. The way I understand it, you click the trigger forward and now you have a really light pull weight and crisp trigger for precision needs. Or you leave as is and normal shooting at say shorter distance and to speed things up a bit a heavier pull which is safer, say 3lbs. I guess that's what I think they are, but I really don't know.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Anyone had any experience on a set trigger. That concept interests me. The way I understand it, you click the trigger forward and now you have a really light pull weight and crisp trigger for precision needs. Or you leave as is and normal shooting at say shorter distance and to speed things up a bit a heavier pull which is safer, say 3lbs. I guess that's what I think they are, but I really don't know.
I can't say I've heard of them but I am a beginner at this whole thing so maybe some of the other contributors to this thread will be able to chime in and help you out more.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, maybe someone will.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

The set trigger on the CZ 223 American gives a whole new meaning to the word SWEET!! In normal mode its a great trigger that breaks clean but pushing the trigger forward makes for a super trigger. All that is nessisary is to think pull and it goes off in set mode.....