Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How much difference can a trigger make?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: How much difference can a trigger make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Sounds like you guys got me talked into it.

I am hereing from searches on here that the best way to order them is directly from Jewell. Is this true? How much is this gonna cost me? Most places I am seeing them online here are saying about $229, is that about right or what has everybody else been getting them for?
I think I paid about $225.00 for mine and $50.00 to be installed. Mine came straight from Jewell. You will be plesantly surprised.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I shoot a standard X-mark Pro trigger from Remington right now. It is a descent factory trigger, no complaints. I can only get it down to between 3 and 3.25lb though right now. I am thinking about a Jewell but am wondering if going to a higher quality trigger really makes that much difference in accuracy? I am shooting a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero and I use purely for hunting if that makes a difference. Thanks.
At 100 yards you won't notice a lot of difference.

At 500 yards you'll notice a really big difference.

At 1,000yds it's all the difference in the world.

Unless I'm working in extreme cold I want no more than 1.5lbs. As soon as I feel good tension depressing my fingertip it breaks like glass once tuned and honed properly.

In extreme cold where I'll have to wear gloves, 2.5-3lbs max is all I want. Just so I can begin to feel it through my glove and "snap".
Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

Cool. I do some hunting in colder weather, but would never probably take a shot with my actual gloves on so that isn't really a huge concern I guess.

Like you were saying, at the longer ranges it makes a huge difference. I don't have much problem right now at shorter ranges, but I can see where if I don't get a better trigger, the longer ranges could become a little bit of a struggle.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe I'm off base on this but my experience is that given a particular trigger, if I can shoot a .25-.5 MOA group, or consistantly hit an equivalently sized target with individual consecutive shots at 100 or 200 hundred yards, I will maintain the accuracy and precision at 1000 yards. The angle is constant and a lighter trigger should technically not influence the specific change in distance. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Maybe I'm off base on this but my experience is that given a particular trigger, if I can shoot a .25-.5 MOA group, or consistantly hit an equivalently sized target with individual consecutive shots at 100 or 200 hundred yards, I will maintain the accuracy and precision at 1000 yards. The angle is constant and a lighter trigger should technically not influence the specific change in distance. IMHO.
Makes sense..........
Old 12-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
on the surface you'd think so, but the farther out you go the more the environment and other factors come into play, which reduces your hit probability. Bryan illustrates this very well in his 2nd book. One thing I think that gets over looked some times is that the concentration needed for a heavy trigger at 100yrds, interferes with paying attention to other influences down range. I believe a light well tuned trigger allows for muscle memory to work much more efficiently, and consequently frees up concentration for other factors, and also helps to reduce mental drain.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Also makes sense............which would explain why one would not notice as many accuracy issues at close range as you would at long range.

By the time I get done upgrading my Sendero I should have just bought a custom or had one built. hahahaha