Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How much difference can a trigger make?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: How much difference can a trigger make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkknupp View Post
From what I have seen , the Timney is around $110 and The Jewell around $200. I could not get my Xmark down under 3#. I shot a Jewell that was set at less than a pound. That thing was awesome. The guy that owned the gun swears that the Jewell he has is still safe down to 2ounces.
Yeah, that's kinda what they advertise from what I can see anyways. I have the same trials with my Xmark, #3 max, which isn't really too bad depending on what your desired applications are. I would probably take that xmark and put it on my old 270win with the old factory trigger just because it would be a good upgrade for the purposes I use that rifle for.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

it's a simple answer.... the smaller the target... the lighter the trigger should be.

Lighter the trigger... tighter the group.

It's the BEST INVESTMENT ON ANY RIFLE.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post
it's a simple answer.... the smaller the target... the lighter the trigger should be.

Lighter the trigger... tighter the group.

It's the BEST INVESTMENT ON ANY RIFLE.
Kinda what I figured. I have never taken the time to put money into a trigger before. Curious to see how well I am really capable of shooting I guess.

I shoot under MOA right now off a 13-27" Harris and no bag under the back. I am probably gonna buy a 9-13" bipod so that I can shoot a more true prone position with a good bag under the back of the rifle and a good trigger and I should be good to go.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Don't know if this helps but I had a jewel put on my 7mm build set at 1lb4oz I liked it enough that I put one on my 223 set at same weight so I get a lot of trigger time with out burning up a barrel and can still get used to the feel when it breaks. (both will shoot well under 1/2 moa)

Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

That is actually a pretty dandy idea
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Bronze Member

I did the same with my three 700 5Rs. I put Jewells in them and all are set at 1 pound. The trigger feels the same in the .300 as it does in the .308 and .223.
I sold the X triggers to someone here on the forum and was happy he wanted them. Even though I didn't like them, they didn't need to go into the scrap box.
Installing the Jewells was probably the best improvement made.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like you guys got me talked into it.

I am hereing from searches on here that the best way to order them is directly from Jewell. Is this true? How much is this gonna cost me? Most places I am seeing them online here are saying about $229, is that about right or what has everybody else been getting them for?