Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How many of you lap your scope rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

How many of you lap your scope rings?

I was just wondering. I have Dednutz scope mounts on my rifles which claims no lapping required. On my next build I dont plan on using the Dednutz mounts and might need to lap my new rings.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: How many of you lap your scope rings?

I have not used that particular brand of rings, but I ALWAYS lap my scope rings before mounting a scope.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

I lap mine now. I didn't before . Jim

Last edited by jimbires; 06-09-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: opps
Old 06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

I start the lapping process and check the wear pattern on the lower ring. If its a good fit, then I leave well enough alone. If I see the lapping bar is only making contact with a small portion of the lower ring mating surface, then I lap until I get about 75% contact and call it good. I find that most often, some lapping is required to get good scope tube contact on one or both lower ring halves.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

I lap all of my rifles. All have Nightforce scopes, Nightforce or IOR rings, and full lenght (Picatinny or similar) mounting rails. I figure after spending so much money on the action, scope rings, and scope you want to apply a similar amount of accuracy and fit between the scope and the rest of the rifle. I use the lapping tool & compound that Sinclairr International sells. My process is as described by Phorwath above. Sometimes very little lapping is required, other times it takes a little more; but usually its takes no more than 10 minutes. If I remove the scope rings from the rifle then I always re-lap when they go back on; however it is always a very good idea if the rings are going back on the same rifle you record their orientation so they go back in the same order, direction, and position on the rail (if possible) to minimise the lapping required! Applying this process for example when an action is re-barreled and not changing the scope zero I have found the point of impact may hardly change at all (e.g. within 1 MOA!! - or maybe i just got lucky).
Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Ok cool, thank you all VERY MUCH for your help

Old 06-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Never had the need to lap.

NRA Life Member