Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How many here use a Mill Dot Recticle in your scope to judge range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How many here use a Mill Dot Reticle in your scope to judge range?

One needs to get good at it before you can really start accomplishing something.

It's easier to miss than most people think it is. That's just because of the nature of the system in which you are guessing

the size of the target.

The calculations on the right is telling us of a deer measuring 17 inches at exactly 700 yards. It shows that the reading should be 0.67 Mils.

Next one to the left, shows that our hunter in his excitement read 0.75 Mils, which is very easy to do, and called the deer to be 18".

Our hunter will be making adjustments to shoot at 667 yards when our deer is at 700 yards away.

What happens? Even a 300 RUM with 210 high BC bullet will miss that deer by almost a couple of inches.

The point being made is we would need lots of practice. Reason why I use a range finder.

If you want to play with those values, you can freely download a small application linked for at the bottom of my
signature.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 05-17-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: How many here use a Mill Dot Recticle in your scope to judge range?

For the Mill Dot system to work on my scope you must have the power set at 14. The reason for the devision is so I can addjust my elevation in terms of MOA rather than counting all them clicks. If it says come up 47 clicks and I devide it by 4 and come up with 11.75 that translates to 11 minutes and 3 clicks. It is much faster for me to dial in 11 minutes and 3 clicks on my scope than to just count 47 clicks. I think we are on the same page you just may have mis understood me. Thanks and take care Dale
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

I have shooter ready and suck @ anything over about 800 yards....even with a know target size.

However. I love the mil dot for hold over. Currently I can shoot out to 600 yards with pretty good accuracy from my 223 without adjusting anything. I've taken it out to 400 and tested it......so I'm guessing it's good for the longer distances I have marked........may be a while before I find a measured 600 to test it.

Aim small hit small

When they come for your guns, give them the ammunition first.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:24 AM
Miller Outdoors

I looked into learning the ins and outs of ranging with the dots, but lost interest in its complexity and opted for the Busgnell Legend 1200.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

I do I try to stay very profecciant at it. That way when batteris go dead and lasers dont work I can still come up with a fireing solutuon.