Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

how long do I need to let a barrel cool in between shots for a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: how long do I need to let a barrel cool in between shots for a

I live in S. Az and had to come up with a faster way to cool a barrel than a wet towel wrapped around the barrel.

The easiest way I have found is to use CO2. You can cool after each shot to simulate hunting conditions. Or you can cool after any number you prefer and really speed up load workups. If waiting isn't for you this is the fastest way to get the barrel back to ambient temperature.

CO2 needs a regulator with plenty of flow. A small rubber hose with end cut at a taper will fit into most chambers for snug fit.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
I live in S. Az and had to come up with a faster way to cool a barrel than a wet towel wrapped around the barrel.

The easiest way I have found is to use CO2. You can cool after each shot to simulate hunting conditions. Or you can cool after any number you prefer and really speed up load workups. If waiting isn't for you this is the fastest way to get the barrel back to ambient temperature.

CO2 needs a regulator with plenty of flow. A small rubber hose with end cut at a taper will fit into most chambers for snug fit.

Try that up north where the misquitos are bad!!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

I'll bet that would be quite an attractant! I do notice that it attracts the small flies we get in August. Having grown up in Upstate NY around the Finger Lakes I know about mosquitoes. Our tiny flies are NOTHING by comparison.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

On average, it's a 10 minutes wait between shots. I keep myself pre-occupied with my .22s or other plinking toy during the waiting period.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post

I like it....I've been thinking about taking along my compact air compressor during the summer months just to speed up cooling. F-class rifles heat up fast!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

In a match one time I was worried about repeated shots and chamber heat. I took a can of the compressed air for cleaning computer key boards. Every few rounds I would stray down the outside of the chamber. This spray is very cold and did cool the chamber metal. Not sure why, but after the match a friend told me all of my misses were the first shots after I strayed.

Not sure what that tells us but I thought I would offer it for what it's worth.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Puts me in mind of my favorite sub gun, the MG42. They are supplied with 2 barrels, each barrel at the receiver end has a dovetail that engages a matching dovetail at the end of the receiver and the forestock is hinged so it swings out. When a barrel gets smoking hot, you pull a pin, swing out the forestock, pull the hot barrel (with gloves of course) and fit a cold barrel. The hot one goes in a creek or on the ground to cool off.....