close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

how long do I need to let a barrel cool in between shots for a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: how long do I need to let a barrel cool in between shots for a

for max barrel life how long would you wait between shots on say a rifle like a 338 lm or cheytac based case ?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrifleisLapua View Post
for max barrel life how long would you wait between shots on say a rifle like a 338 lm or cheytac based case ?
max barrel temp.

Take a look at Kevin Thomas' post.

Take it for what it's worth.

Tod
Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Non-Profit Sponsor

I typically just sight in like normal. Pretty much everything I shoot will shoot in the same spot from the 1st round to the 5th round. No difference.

But I like go out 5 days in a row and shoot one round at 300 yards. I use the same Shoot-N-C target, for all five shots to see where I am at.

jcsteeltargets.com

2 Cor-5:17--Therefore, if he is in Christ he is a new creation, the old is gone and the new has come!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvibby View Post

But I like go out 5 days in a row and shoot one round at 300 yards. I use the same Shoot-N-C target, for all five shots to see where I am at.
That right there is where you will see the difference....environmental changes. I actually like to try and guess what the change will be based on what my weather station and Shooter app tells me. BUT.....I zero all of my rifles at 300, not 100 yards, so the difference will be greater. My 100 yard zeros don't usually change that much.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvibby View Post

That right there is where you will see the difference....environmental changes. I actually like to try and guess what the change will be based on what my weather station and Shooter app tells me. BUT.....I zero all of my rifles at 300, not 100 yards, so the difference will be greater. My 100 yard zeros don't usually change that much.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the information guys wanted to check and see if what I have been doing is right
Duane
Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

It all depends on environmental conditions. It might take 2 minutes or it might take 20. Get on eof these and shoot in the shade or morning or evening when the sun isn't beating down on your barrel.

Temperature Gun 50 C 900 C Infrared Digital Non Contact IR Laser Thermometer | eBay

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams